Is there any way that the CoH community in-jokes could be in

Developing the setting of Heroes and Villains

Re: Is there any way that the CoH community in-jokes could b

Unread postby bluedarky » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:41 am

mattwo wrote:
bluedarky wrote:
cursedsorcerer wrote:Actually, I don't know if this is intentional, but some of the Lore character bios on the website kinda make me think of some of the characters in CoH:

Centurion = Statesman
Brazen = Back Alley Brawler
Skorpion = Arachnos
Dr. Deathmask = Dr. Vahzilok

Again, not sure if this was intentional or I'm just overthinking.

Part of this is likely intentional, but don't forget that several major groups and heroes from CoX followed several heroic tropes. For example -

Statesman = Superman
Manticore = Batman
Sister Psyche = Jean Grey
Back Alley Brawler = Luke Cage
Citadel = Cyborg
Synapse = Flash
Positron = Iron Man

It is difficult to make heroes that are 100% unique after all.

Don't forget villains, like 5th column=HYDRA.

bluedarky wrote:
Golden Girl wrote:
bluedarky wrote:It is difficult to make heroes that are 100% unique after all.

The same also applies to comic book style groups too - for example, we can quite easily include Nazis, aliens and organized crime without needing to worry that we're somehow copying something that was unique to CoH.

Of course, those three groups are almost a given in any Superhero setting so I think you'd have more complaints if you didn't have those sorts of groups.

DC's nazis just weren't as prominent. Heck, their entire WWII setting fell by the wayside. Also HYDRA and 5th column survived into the modern era while DC just had Vandal Savage previously working with Nazis. Moreso in the DCAU(JLA Episodes: The Savage Time(recommended watching if you have netflix instant queue).

That's not to say that there weren't any DC comics that put Superman/Batman/any other DC hero against Nazis, it's just that they didn't have a nazi themed villain unlike Marvel who built the primary nemesis of Captain America as a rogue Nazi scientist. Superman and Batman's main focus in the war effort was to sell war bonds though. (Seriously look at comic covers from the time and you'll see Superman and Batman promoting the sale of war bonds)
bluedarky

Unread postby mattwo » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:31 am

You know, I'm pretty sure there was a whole musical number in the recent Captain America movie where Cap was stuck promoting war bonds.
mattwo

Unread postby bluedarky » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:31 pm

mattwo wrote:You know, I'm pretty sure there was a whole musical number in the recent Captain America movie where Cap was stuck promoting war bonds.

There was, War Bonds were a big thing in the Second World War as they were used to fund the war effort.
bluedarky

Unread postby mattwo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:57 am

bluedarky wrote:
mattwo wrote:You know, I'm pretty sure there was a whole musical number in the recent Captain America movie where Cap was stuck promoting war bonds.

There was, War Bonds were a big thing in the Second World War as they were used to fund the war effort.

Yea, I just find it amusing they did that in a modern movie. It kind of makes Captain America's backstory even more like Deathsroke's though...
mattwo

Unread postby bluedarky » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:21 pm

mattwo wrote:
bluedarky wrote:

Yea, I just find it amusing they did that in a modern movie. It kind of makes Captain America's backstory even more like Deathsroke's though...

Ironically the movie is pretty close to the comics in the origin story, it just skipped a load between the formation of the avengers and the defeat of Red Skull. That being said there was nearly 6-7 years of comics between his creation and the eventual retirement of Captain America in favour of more "modern" heroes.

WWII Setting - Check
Captain America created via top secret serum - check
Serum destroyed and scientist who created it killed - check
Being held back from the front lines is a bit of an issue as some sources say yes, others say no.
Encounters Red Skull - Check
Forms the original Avengers including Bucky - Check
Lost after the defeat of the Red Skull - Check
Successfully revived in the modern day - check.
bluedarky

Unread postby MrManhattan » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:18 pm

bluedarky wrote:
mattwo wrote:
bluedarky wrote:

Ironically the movie is pretty close to the comics in the origin story, it just skipped a load between the formation of the avengers and the defeat of Red Skull. That being said there was nearly 6-7 years of comics between his creation and the eventual retirement of Captain America in favour of more "modern" heroes.

WWII Setting - Check
Captain America created via top secret serum - check
Serum destroyed and scientist who created it killed - check
Being held back from the front lines is a bit of an issue as some sources say yes, others say no.
Encounters Red Skull - Check
Forms the original Avengers including Bucky - Check
Lost after the defeat of the Red Skull - Check
Successfully revived in the modern day - check.

Um.. original Avengers? Do you mean the Invaders?
And no they where not in the movie. They had him running around with the Howling Commandos minus Nick Fury. They just never gave his crew a name in the movie.
"That's MR. Manhattan to you!"
MrManhattan

Unread postby Blitz » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:28 pm

The Invaders were created in the '60's, as were the Howling Commando's. Also, they give Cap founding member status as an Avenger, but he wasn't brought back from the ice until Avenger #3.
Blitz

Previous

Return to World-Building - Stories and Lore (Archived)