Power use/fighting?

Developing the gameplay and systems in Heroes and Villains

Re: Power use/fighting?

Unread postby AgentForest » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:17 pm

I read something on the main news page about how there were some concerns by the team about how to handle melee and ranged damage in a way that fairly balances them in a game with such mobility. Because ranged people with travel powers could easily kite melee people.

I've actually been hoping to get into game design for a while because of issues like this, lol. Game balance is a struggle, but one of the best ways to do it is to build things around what you already know people are going to want to do.

For example, ranged people will want to just kite melee people all day. How do you compensate for that to give the melee people an edge? Well, we can assume some kiting will occur regardless of anything you do. Ranged moves and crowd control will be used to keep the melee person at bay for as long as possible. Where can we go from there? Well, work it into the passives of the melee classes.

1. Perhaps all melee classes can get an ability that turns their next melee attack into a charge move. Activate it, and your next attack closes the gap before it executes, and deactivates travel abilities for a few seconds. This could provide some level of balance, but that still doesn't solve long battles, just initiation or re-engaging.
  2. When a crowd control move is used on a melee class, they gain a buff to their mobility power when the cc wears off. So stun someone who flies, and now they can fly faster to catch you when it wears off. It buys you time, but not as much as it would on a ranged character who doesn't need to catch up with you.
  3. Whenever a melee character takes ranged damage, their next attack will have boosted damage, stacking the more they are hit with ranged moves (to a certain point). They could store up their vengeance for when they finally get into range. Probably best to make this damage a flat amount per stack, so that using one's strongest move doesn't immediately KO someone in one hit. "Your next attack does 20 more damage per stack" or whatever works for your level, and all stacks are consumed when you finally get in range and hit them. You could even let different power sets for melee characters have unique effects for this, like how fire moves could apply a higher amount of damage per stack (30 instead of 20), but dealt over time. Ice could apply a slow on-hit, and because that helps them maintain proximity for more attacks, perhaps they use up only a few stacks at a time, but for a higher damage per stack than people who use the stacks up all at once (30 per stack, but only use 2 stacks per hit).

Just some brainstorming, obviously. I'm not trying to tell the devs how to do their jobs, lol. :) I just always felt that if you are making a game to involve PvP, you have to play into what people will obviously be doing anyway, and make incentives and counter-play where possible.
AgentForest

Unread postby DisturbedOne21 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:57 am

Its been a while since I was here last... Anyway not sure if this is the right forum to post this but I read somewhere and was linked a video regarding Perfect Imbalance and that City of Heroes apparently was great at this and I noticed that The Secret World followed a more or less similar system ANYWAY. From what I understand instead of creating a build that can beat every type of enemy (or players for those PVP likers) you kinda have to input some forms of strategy and thinking. Say you played a Fire Brawling Hero and you just beat a Mastermind but then when this Earth Brawler showed up, he beat the crap out of you. The Fire Brawler was basically a glass cannon and the Earth Brawler had an LOT of health and gave out a decent amount of damage needed to beat Fire Brawler.

i suck at explaining so maybe the video will help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e31OSVZF77w
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy" - The Joker (Batman: The Killing Joke)

Always found Insane characters as awesome creations of the minds that made them the way they are. May them be a villain like Joker, an Anti-Hero like Deadpool. Hell Batman is something of a reluctant psycho. Either way, Uncle Ben might say with great power comes great responsibly. I'm more of a believer of the term with Great power comes great insanity. And yes i read tvtropes a lot.

OC Character: Daniel Cray AKA Disturbed Guy/The Black Death/The Grin (depending on which names would be active)
Born on 455 AD
Nationality: Roman
Origin: Magic
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Powers: Fire/Darkness
DisturbedOne21

Unread postby Golden Girl » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:04 am

With a game like CoH, players had so much choice that it was pretty much impossible to balance it, and HaV won't be that different - our main goal with the power system is fun and challenge, not total balance.
Golden Girl

Unread postby DisturbedOne21 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:59 am

Wasn't asking for a total balance so fun and challenging is perfectly fine with me.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy" - The Joker (Batman: The Killing Joke)

Always found Insane characters as awesome creations of the minds that made them the way they are. May them be a villain like Joker, an Anti-Hero like Deadpool. Hell Batman is something of a reluctant psycho. Either way, Uncle Ben might say with great power comes great responsibly. I'm more of a believer of the term with Great power comes great insanity. And yes i read tvtropes a lot.

OC Character: Daniel Cray AKA Disturbed Guy/The Black Death/The Grin (depending on which names would be active)
Born on 455 AD
Nationality: Roman
Origin: Magic
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Powers: Fire/Darkness
DisturbedOne21

Unread postby plinkyplonk » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:17 pm

The imbalances promoted team work and the beauty of CoX is that you never had to wait too long for a team whatever class you played. It all worked (usually).
plinkyplonk

Previous

Return to Gameplay and Systems