Power Effects

Developing the gameplay and systems in Heroes and Villains

Power Effects

Unread postby Blaze Rocker » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:31 pm

I've been working on powersets, adjusting old powers into acceptable reworks and making powers with new or adjusted effects. Without knowledge or access to a current list of approved effects for HaV I've had to proceed on my own from past experience and a little creativity.
I need to run these by you all to see if they are acceptable. If they are I will use them for my power concepts. If you have any issues please let me know and I will adjust my effects as desired or adhear to any list you currently have. Approval of this list as-is may cause me to go back and rework sets I've submitted for formal proposal already for potential improvements.

Power and Mezz Effects

Fear ~ Affected targets freeze in place, shaking in their shoes while doing their best to shield their faces from incoming attacks. Targets will only move and attack other targets in response to being attacked. Even if the affected target moves from their position they won't get far before the full fear effect returns, forcing them to cower and tremble until the effect wears off. Fear effects will leave the affected targets with decreased accuracy (chance ToHit).

Terrorize ~ Affected targets run for their very lives away from either the caster or the source of their torment, which could be any thing, entity, area or attack that causes them Damage Over Time (DoT). Targets can only retaliate if attacked by another character, or player character, and once they have will then commence to flee until the effect wears off. Terrorize effects will leave the affected with reduced defense and decreased accuracy (chance ToHit).

Uncontrolled Laughter ~ Affected targets freeze in place, like affected by a fear effect, and will only attack and move in response to being attacked. The only difference is that the affected will visually be laughing uncontrollably instead of trying to shield themselves in fear. Uncontrolled Laughter effects will leave the affected with reduced defense and decreased accuracy (chance ToHit).

Nauseate ~ Affected targets are sickened to the point of vomiting. Completely overcome from sickness targets will stand in place puking until their stomachs allow them to move. Sickened targets have reduced defense and damage resistance. - This is essentially a Hold effect with vomiting, the main difference is that its source and effect aren't generic like the "one size fits most" Hold from CoH. Nauseate can come specifically from toxins in the body, poisonous gases, hazardous chemical exposure or perhaps energies that affect the nervous and/or digestive systems.

Panic ~ Affected targets are stricken with an uncontrolled panic and will run around aimlessly unable to target, attack, use powers or be controlled untill the effect wears off. Affected targets have reduced defense and damage resistance.

Hibernate - Robots and computers do not sleep as biologicals do but they can be forced into a state of hibernation where their functions are temporarily suspended. Just like those in normal sleep, machines in hibernation may remain unresponsive for a while as their systems sort themselves out. Disturbing them will bring them back to operation just as they were previously. Affected targets will appear asleep and will have reduced defense and damage resistance while they remain in hibernation.

For the sake of keeping things simple many of these effects can use the same enhancements. Fear, Terrorize and Uncontrolled Laughter can all take Fear enhancements. Nauseate can take Hold enhancements. Hibernate can take Sleep enhancements. Panic can either be its own effect and take a new enhancement, can take Confuse enhancements or be its own special effect and take none at all.

Let me know if you have any issues, questions, requests or suggestions. Thanks.
You're really gonna want that cowbell. :P
Blaze Rocker

Re: Power Effects

Unread postby Thazager » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:38 pm

We do have a small list of ideas, we don't really have them coded in yet. So things are still open at this point.
HaV Lead Programmer/scripter
Thazager

Unread postby Blaze Rocker » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:23 pm

Thanks. I'll just go with what I have and we can adjust things later if needed.
Blaze Rocker

Unread postby Ekimmak » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:24 am

You could just merge laughter and fear into one CC effect (something like mentally overpowered?) and change the emotes based on it.
I'm Zactoab on DeviantArt, was Clawstriker in City of Heroes, and Ekimmak in most other places.
Ekimmak

Unread postby Blaze Rocker » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:06 pm

Ekimmak wrote:You could just merge laughter and fear into one CC effect (something like mentally overpowered?) and change the emotes based on it.

Possible, yes.
There's a difference in Fear and UcL though. Uncontrolled Laughter reduces a target's defense where Fear does not. All these mezz effects and their individual effects are still open to tweaking so changes are still possible.
Now that I think about it, someone shielding their face from a fear effect might actually have an incremental increase in defense because defending themself is all they are doing whereas laughing uncontrollably prevents a person from defending themself. (interesting)

EDIT
You know, that's a great idea you just unintentionally brought up. An effect that actually gives the enemy a boost of some kind is something I hadn't thought of. It would definitely be a departure from CoH and it would further set the Fear effect apart from Terrorize. I think I'll adjust the Fear effects in the sets I'm working on to grant a minor Defense bonus to the enemy. Hardly noticeable, but it makes sense.
Blaze Rocker

Return to Gameplay and Systems