Grinding

Developing the gameplay and systems in Heroes and Villains

Grinding

Unread postby Gypsy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:06 pm

Oh boy! Grinding...grinding levels, grinding for crafting, grinding for reputation, grinding for... This one thing will make me drop a game like a hot charcoal briquette. So many games get to a point where grinding becomes mandatory. There is no way around it. I am sure you wonderful people have considered this and have a plan to prevent it..., right? :D
Gypsy

Re: Grinding

Unread postby Golden Girl » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:38 pm

We have a few ideas in place that are somewhat unusual for MMOs ;-)
Golden Girl

Unread postby Hercules » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:53 am

Sorry to necro an old thread, but I hope you'd take a look at how Guild Wars 1 did it.

You progressed through a series of zones as you leveled up. Each zone had a set of missions associated with that area, which gave you enough xp to level up to the appropriate level for the next area. When you had completed all missions associated with that area, you were given a new quest that would take you to the next zone.

I always loved that design, zero grinding involved - and no meaningless "filler" quests that had zero meaning.
Hercules

Unread postby Greengo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:58 pm

Grinding is the death of many a good game. IT is also unnecessary. Heroing is about beating the bad guys, and should never be about leveling. IT should be about accomplishment. Personally, I think the best comics/stories and games involve STRATEGY. how to get around your characters deficiencies and pull off a win by using your head and whatever you can in the environment to neutralize the foes attacks and trick him into defeat. Then you feel like YOU did something, 'cause you DID.
Greengo

Unread postby Golden Girl » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:12 pm

Grinding is something that we've very specifically looking to avoid in the game - we're not going to prevent players from doing repetitious actions, but we're not going to reward them for it either.
Golden Girl

Unread postby plinkyplonk » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:41 am

Dammit - I like getting a badge for killing 10,000 foes of a particular type.
plinkyplonk

Return to Gameplay and Systems