Developing the charatcer creation process in Heroes and Villains

Re: Costume Suggestions

Unread postby Golden Girl » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:54 pm

JJohnson wrote:I'm sure I've said it before, but for costumes:

Hands:
knuckle-gloves - like you have for Krav Maga
martial arts gloves - like Ken/Ryu use
wrist gloves - simple wrist length gloves, like Rogue (X-Men) uses often
forearm gloves - up to your elbow, in different styles (cuff, no cuff, etc)
-elemental effects - cuff on fire, ice chill falling off the glove, electric sparks sizzling across the glove
-patterns like in CoH - flame, electric, ice, tech circuitry, mystic, etc.

Boots:
sneakers (with regular socks and calf-high socks), sandals, winged sandals
calf-high boots; girls get options with heels and without.
thigh-high boots (girls) - with/without heels
knee-high boots - armored (like Scorpion), normal hero style, Gold Zeo Ranger knee-caps-style (kneepad with two straps top/bottom).
-elemental effects like gloves
-patterns like in CoH - flame, electric, ice, tech circuitry, mystic, etc.

body:
toga - great for angel characters or mythics

total package - stereotypical view of what these would look like:
roman centurion
greek hoplite
anglo saxon
viking

belts:
regular belt
hero belts with packs (like Batman in the 60s)
tech belt (mechanical, segmented with packs)
rope

tails:
cat, squirrel, fox, bunny, nightcrawler/devil-style, lizard/reptile, wolf

I'm sure it's been said before, but this is totally off-the-cuff. I'm sure you've got the basics of any generic silver-age hero's costume in there.

Golden/Silver age styles are our starting point for designing the first collection of costume parts, and we'll then branch out from there.
Golden Girl

Knockoff and Copycat Costume Pieces & Such

Unread postby Blaze Rocker » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:52 am

Everyone wants their characters to look top notch, even if they're supposed to look grungy and disheveled. But what about those that want or need to look good but slightly less than top notch on purpose.
A thought came to me recently when I remembered a heroic CoH mission where the contact's dialogue implied that your character would be going to some type of small comic/sci-fi convention and you'd get to be a star for the day. The mission was a trap and you encountered the Devouring Earth instead of comic book geeks, fanboys and fangirls.
Anyway the thought, or collection of thoughts, goes like this:

"What about NPCs that were non-supers and wannabes? What about costume contests? What about in-game comic/sci-fi conventions and Halloween time?"

With the real Comic Con more popular than ever, and CoH players accustomed to their own in-game costume contests, I figure that having NPCs ocasionally dress up as their favorite HaV characters at times would make sense. As to the point I was trying to make: the way I see it non-super NPCs would make or buy their own costumes to look like Centurion, Princess Zandra and others and the costumes they would wear would obviously differ in both design and quality from those of the real characters.
More thought lead me to wonder about playercharacter costume pieces that resembled those of signature heroes and villains. Through special events and tasks could we "eventually" earn our own versions of the costume pieces of signature characters, or at least earn knockoff versions of them? The Halloween event costume salvage and SG base decorations were nice and all but what about those times when we want to be the wannabes and yet still not exactly copy the look of signature characters?
I know, I know. We could already do that pretty well with the CoH costume creator. I know I tried and at least 90% succeeded a few times myself. There's always room for more though. We could earn costume pieces that were deliberately made to always look slightly off, slightly misdesigned and either a bit larger or a bit smaller than the actual pieces so it looked like our character was indeed trying to copy the look of a signature character and yet obviously not completely succeeding in doing so.

I dunno. Maybe it's not worth the effort. I just had these ideas running through my head and I felt like seeing what the rest of you thought about them. What do you all think? Is any of this worth consideration, at least the non-super costumed NPCs?
Look, just hand over the cowbell and nobody gets hurt.
Blaze Rocker

Unread postby JJohnson » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:19 am

Golden Girl wrote:This thread is for anyone to suggest costume sets or parts that they'd like to see in "Heroes and Villains" - please keep in mind that asking for direct copies of clothing found in other games, movies, comics or any other medium can't be accepted on copyright grounds.

Hmmm....costume sets/parts.

Body:
-Tights upper/lower with solid color, or 2-tone fading one to the other, or solid with graphics on top (imagine a red top with orange flame graphics on top);
-jeans, cargo pants, jean shorts (for females)
-chain mail, including earlier Captain America style scale armor
-scales for armor and reptilian-style heroes/villains
-Ultimate Marvel / movie Marvel-style 'realistic' costumes
-leather costumes, including leather jackets for biker heroes/villains

Wings:
-feathered
-bat
-dragon
-mechanical feathered (similar to Archangel, but more segmented like real wings)
-mechanical (like movie Falcon) with a backpack
-butterfly
-wasp/bee
-dragonfly
-fairy
-rocket pack (Rocketeer, Centurions-style with variable wings that if you 'run' or go faster, the wings sweep back and engine exhaust/flame increases, etc)

Head:
-cyclops-like visor
-safety glasses-like visor
-Transformers Jazz-like visor
-ear covering that's basically a semi-sphere, onto which you can have variants with metallic feathered wings, stylized/sharp-angle wings, antennae, gundam-style antennae
-mouthpieces: gundam-style, Optimus Prime-style, gas-mask styles
-overall: gas mask ("Are you my mummy?")
-helmets: military (Spartan, Roman, Greek, doughboy, German pith helmet, British bear-caps like the Royal guards, WW1/WW2 helmets, Vietnam, current helmets), tech helmets (look to Gundam and Transformers for styling, in concert with earpieces, mouthpieces, eyepieces, and crests)

Gloves:
-classic gloves up to forearm (with and without the extra fabric; also with add-ons, like spikes, fins, etc)
-wrist gloves, with and without extra fabric (see Rogue's early gloves from X-Men)
-sparring gloves
-wrist sparring gloves (like for Krav Maga)
-mechanical gloves for tech heroes

Boots
-classic gloves up to knee
-sparring boot covers that have kneecaps, looks like Scorpion/Sub-Zero from MK in a way
-mechanical boots for tech heroes

Legs:
-regular legs
-cyborg-damaged: see Terminator for inspiration, should look like a mechanical skeleton
-robotic
-animal-style: could work for cat or dog-style heroes, werewolves
-dragon-style: five toes, three toes, could work for dino heroes also
-demon-style: hooved feet

Tails:
-bunny, cat, dog, wolf, fox, Nightcrawler/demon

Costumes:
-Classical Roman soldier and Roman citizen
-toga/classical: sandals, sandals with wings, toga with wrap belt, victory laurel
-movie Spartan: leather waist wrap, sandals and greaves, forearm braces, cape with leather wrap on shoulders, Spartan helmet; Leonidas-style sword and spartan sword and greek sword
-WW1 soldier; WW2 soldier; modern US military soldier ACU, dress uniform, various historical soldier uniforms
-tech suits: see Gundam and Iron Man for inspiration as to various pieces you could use
-Knights: various styles of armor, plate, chain mail, mittens, gloves, etc

I might've said this all before, but they're what I can think of right now.
Last edited by JJohnson on Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
JJohnson

Unread postby JJohnson » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:21 am

Golden Girl wrote:Robes and long dress are something that we're going to have available for the costume creator.

For female heroes/villains, definitely dresses, skirts, mini-skirts, and microskirts. That'd be enough options with the color changes for most users.
JJohnson

Unread postby JJohnson » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:23 am

Gothification wrote:After playing around with other creators a bit more:
The ability to edit right and left separate would be nice to have on arms and legs.
I know you've mentioned the body customization will be more flexible, but I would like to adjust hand and foot sizes, sometimes they didn't seem to scale right.
The ability to save, load and share costumes.
A neutral background color in the editor please. (with lighten/darken background tool)

Are you planning on the power customization tab also?
Some alternate animations for mastermind summons would be cool.
Random animations for MA or SS would be nice. Most hand to hand and some blast powers had 2 animations; I was thinking a third setting that would cycle between them.

For me and my energy-based hero, I sincerely want the hadoken animations as an option. That would make me want to buy the dev team dinner.
JJohnson

Unread postby JJohnson » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:33 am

Golden Girl wrote:Hats with visible hair is an example of the sort of graphical improvements that we'll be using in HaV.

I'll bake you guys cookies for doing this. :lol:
JJohnson

Unread postby Blaze Rocker » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:52 pm

JJohnson wrote:Legs:
-regular legs
-cyborg-damaged: see Terminator for inspiration, should look like a mechanical skeleton
-robotic
-animal-style: could work for cat or dog-style heroes, werewolves
-dragon-style: five toes, three toes, could work for dino heroes also
-demon-style: hooved feet

For cyborg legs I'd love to have the option to have not just both legs be robotic but to be able to have a choice for either the left or right leg be robotic.

If possible I'd like 3, 4 and 5 toe varieties for dragon/reptilian feet.

For hooved feet I'd like to have both cloven and solid hooves as options at some point. CoH had large hooves but even they had splits at the front. I'd also love to be able to pick the colors of those hooves if at all possible.

Everything else JJohnson mentioned sounds good to me.
Look, just hand over the cowbell and nobody gets hurt.
Blaze Rocker

Unread postby JJohnson » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:25 pm

I found this image from CoV, and it made me remember, I really enjoyed having 'skeletal' armor - a skull chestpiece, skull with fangs, then 'skeletal' boots and gloves, and shoulder pads. And, an actual skull head, so I can have the head surrounded by an aura of fire or energy for mythical or supernatural characters. Maybe also some ribs and shoulder blades that sit over the actual costume, acting like 'armor'.
JJohnson

Unread postby cursedsorcerer » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:13 am

JJohnson wrote:I saw someone's avatar here and had to post here: Santa hats with actual hair options. I played several female heroes and when using the Santa hat, they were bald! A female hero should be able to use a Santa hat with a low ponytail, short hair, long hair, or whatever hair you gave her before. Ditto guys.

Aside from that: Santa boots (guy/girl versions), Santa belt, Santa pants/skirt, Santa shirt/blouse/dress/long dress.

Saint Patrick's Day Costume Parts, Oktoberfest parts (Lederhosen/Dirndl multiple options); Fourth of July (Uncle Sam costume parts, Columbia costume parts (personification of the USA), pointed shields, Britannia costume parts, Germania. That's all the holiday-specific stuff I can think of, other than Halloween parts (zombie parts, skeleton parts, translucent/glowing ghost parts, etc.)

These would be great to see at some point down the road, but first thing's first: getting the game and its mechanics right and making it fun!

These would be great for possible Holiday events.
Patience is a virtue. Virtue was a CoH server.
Villains are people who dedicate their lives to evil. Villians are people from the planet Villia.
cursedsorcerer

Previous

Return to Character Creation and Appearance