Character Creation and Appearance General Discussion

Developing the charatcer creation process in Heroes and Villains

Re: Character Creation and Appearance General Discussion

Unread postby Rigger » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:54 am

Gypsy wrote:Hats: Why is it that when you put on a hat, in some games, you are suddenly bald headed? if you have long hair and you put on a hat, there should be long hair below it, right?

In the real world, yes, but in MMOs, there's no visually convincing way to add a hat on top of hair, if you treat the two parts separately. The hat either hovers above, or replaces the hair; it doesn't combine with it. If you want a hat with hair, the artists would have to create a separate design of that specific hat and that specific hair style. When you start trying to combine every hat (and helmet, and half-helmet, and mask, and wrap-around goggles, etc.) with every hair style, the number of combinations quickly becomes overwhelming. It would take literally years for a team of artists to create just the hair composites.

Personally, I'm thinking about teaching myself Maya so I can have whatever accessory and combination I want. It's one of the biggest advantages of a volunteer effort. :D
"Just run up on Fritz."
Rigger

Unread postby Rigger » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:57 am

Blaze Rocker wrote:I'm relatively certain that CoH did it so that people couldn't make those skin-tight bodysuits, with no other colors or features, the same color as their character's skin as this could make them appear naked...

You are exactly right. And you're also right that it didn't stop anyone.
"Just run up on Fritz."
Rigger

Unread postby TDGeorge » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:17 pm

Any ideas (other than soonish) when your Character Creator will be ready to download and test? :?:
My PC specs: Quad Core Q9450 (2.66GHz), 8 gig ram, Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit, 2 500 gig HDs, CD/DVD reader/writer, GeForce GTX 960 (4 gig), Monitor Resolution 1920x1200, DirectX 11, Network Connection Wired DSL.
TDGeorge

Unread postby Golden Girl » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:33 pm

At this stage. I'm not sure that the character creator will be available to download separately from the actual game.
Golden Girl

Unread postby Thazager » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:06 pm

Right. The hero engine combines all parts of the game into one piece. In order to make a separate character creator, a second engine would need to be bought, and the create part put in that one without it allowing access to an empty game section. Then again there are many costume pieces still being worked on, and not yet ready for game status.

And during the creation of the game itself, the character can change in design which in turn also changes the character creation section. The creation section is one of the first things the player will see in game, however it probably should be one of last things made for the game. As long as the game is still being designed.
HaV Lead Programmer/scripter
Thazager

Previous

Return to Character Creation and Appearance