Character Creation Concept GUI

Developing the charatcer creation process in Heroes and Villains

Re: Character Creation Concept GUI

Unread postby TDGeorge » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:29 pm

During character creation, will there be separate choices for race & origin (i.e. Earth Human, Alien (alien name here)). I say Earth Human since some characters will originate on different planets & dimensions (Other World Human). Will there be some distinguishing trait / characteristic between Earth Human & Other World Human. Maybe race & origin are two sides of the same coin. Just throwing this out there.
My PC specs: Quad Core Q9450 (2.66GHz), 8 gig ram, Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit, 2 500 gig HDs, CD/DVD reader/writer, GeForce GTX 960 (4 gig), Monitor Resolution 1920x1200, DirectX 11, Network Connection Wired DSL.
TDGeorge

Unread postby Golden Girl » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:35 pm

We're working on a system of allowing players to designate what type of creature they are, but it's likely to be only for extra story options, and have no bonuses or penalties linked to it.
Golden Girl

Unread postby TDGeorge » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:50 pm

Thats fine.

After looking at all of the character panels, I saw an Origin panel but did not see a Race panel. That got me to thinking: Are race and Origin one in the same?
My PC specs: Quad Core Q9450 (2.66GHz), 8 gig ram, Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit, 2 500 gig HDs, CD/DVD reader/writer, GeForce GTX 960 (4 gig), Monitor Resolution 1920x1200, DirectX 11, Network Connection Wired DSL.
TDGeorge

Unread postby Golden Girl » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:09 pm

The panels here are slightly out of date - their layout and artwork are being revised and polished right now.
Golden Girl

Unread postby Kettera » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:35 pm

I really do like the way the set- up will be for it, but will you be able to pick your mentor or will your mentor be decided by your heroes/villains reputation?
Kettera

Unread postby Golden Girl » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:58 pm

We're looking at several ways of letting the players engane with the content on their own terms, so a mentor could be one option, but not required.
Golden Girl

Unread postby Gothification » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:54 pm

Things that I would include:
More than a toggle zoom, allow it to pan while zoomed in or toggle zoom on the selected costume piece. COH didn't zoom on lower body.
Light/dark background toggle, I suggested this to the devs on COH, it was a pain before that if your base colors matched the background closely
Ability to save and load costumes. I usually start with the same base costume or one from an alt and modify it.

After watching the video, what is the plan with origin? If it will only determine where you shop and whether you start with a taser vs. a throwing knife; is it needed? Can this be in the bio screen?
Gothification

Unread postby Golden Girl » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:18 pm

Origin is also used to help direct the player to suitable story content - as HaV is a story driven game, there will be a lot of different types of stories available at all levels, so the origin choice acts as a kind of filter, and is deeper than the origin selection part of CoH.
Golden Girl

Unread postby Gothification » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:53 pm

Rather than the basic Hero/ Villain should we allow the transition alignments from the start? I'm open to other names and descriptions than I have on there, just getting the Idea up.
Also could we link origin and patron together? DCOU does this and it may make sense for origin story lines that the main storyline follows orders from a signature hero/ villain from early on. You could tie the signature and their lackeys in as trainers and vendors from Level 1.
Attachments
Moral Alignment Menu.JPG
Gothification

Unread postby Golden Girl » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:19 pm

The current plan is to have a good, evil and neutral starting choice, with different levels of morality within each of them, represented by the attitude fo NPCs towards you and the content that you have access too. As an example, in CoH, Statesman, Ms. Liberty and Manicore were all classed as heroes, and they could be accessed by anyone the moment they became a hero - but in HaV, characters like those 3 would be graded - Manticore would be a "low level" hero, meaning that he'd be more likely to work with players who had a low level score of hero alignment points - Ms. Libetry would be a "medium level" hero, requiring the player to have a higher heroic morality score, and Satesman woul be a "high level" hero, and would only work with players who had the maximum or close to maximum heroic morality score.

The design goal behind this is to create a more realistic alignement system that avoids the "lightswitch" problem of shifting your alignment and suddenly finding that everyone belonging to your new alingment is your friend and totally trusts you - to fully access your new alignment in HaV, players will have to earn the trust of its members by their actions following their switch.
Golden Girl

PreviousNext

Return to Character Creation and Appearance