How many character slots?

Developing the charatcer creation process in Heroes and Villains

Re: How many character slots?

Unread postby TDGeorge » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:33 pm

I'll second that.

3 / 12 seems like a good place to start. In addition, allow players to purchase toon slots regardless of whether they are Free or Sub.
My PC specs: Quad Core Q9450 (2.66GHz), 8 gig ram, Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit, 2 500 gig HDs, CD/DVD reader/writer, GeForce GTX 960 (4 gig), Monitor Resolution 1920x1200, DirectX 11, Network Connection Wired DSL.
TDGeorge

Unread postby Blaze Rocker » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:09 pm

TDGeorge wrote:3 / 12 seems like a good place to start. In addition, allow players to purchase toon slots regardless of whether they are Free or Sub.

I'll second that. 8-)
You're really gonna want that cowbell. :P
Blaze Rocker

Unread postby DisturbedOne21 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:15 am

i think the 3/12 thing is fine but i'm kinda worried with the whole needing to buy powers and expansion packs... I know the devs need the money to keep a game running but needing to pay to experience the expansion packs and powers is the reason why i hate DCUO like it was cancer. Money isn't exactly something i have so i'm stuck with f2p. I don't make a lot of alts so needing to pay for them wasn't something i had to worry about but i think the 3 for free and 12 for paid is a reasonable thing.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy" - The Joker (Batman: The Killing Joke)

Always found Insane characters as awesome creations of the minds that made them the way they are. May them be a villain like Joker, an Anti-Hero like Deadpool. Hell Batman is something of a reluctant psycho. Either way, Uncle Ben might say with great power comes great responsibly. I'm more of a believer of the term with Great power comes great insanity. And yes i read tvtropes a lot.

OC Character: Daniel Cray AKA Disturbed Guy/The Black Death/The Grin (depending on which names would be active)
Born on 455 AD
Nationality: Roman
Origin: Magic
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Powers: Fire/Darkness
DisturbedOne21

Unread postby Nebulord » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:07 pm

I guess its a good thing i don't make video games, because there is no way I would give 12 character slots to one account, 6 starting out max. Then i would award an extra two character slots per year for having an active account. That would be a sweet veteran reward. (Something like that.) I think that F2P players should be a benefit to a gaming community and not a negative. F2P accounts having 3 slots to work with sounds good to me. (often people just create more F2P accounts using their multiple e-mail addresses anyway.)

Once upon a time when i was dreaming about a fantasy mmo setting i toyed with the idea of giving free accounts access to certain "mobs" like skeleton warrior, goblin shaman, Orc archer..typical antagonists with limited development options. Of course these player controlled mobs would be far more dangerous in there ability to work together than normal mobs so they would be restricted to the most dangerous and lawless areas of the world map. etc. etc. you get the idea.
Nebulord

Unread postby Golden Girl » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:37 pm

We've not made any final decision on character slots or pricing plans - but MMOs are expensive to maintain and run, even without factoring in the need to create new content and updates.
Golden Girl

Unread postby Thazager » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:05 am

Nebulord wrote:(often people just create more F2P accounts using their multiple e-mail addresses anyway.)

Yes, I have done this with a few games.
HaV Lead Programmer/scripter
Thazager

Unread postby ET3D » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:04 am

Nebulord wrote:I guess its a good thing i don't make video games, because there is no way I would give 12 character slots to one account, 6 starting out max.

And you wouldn't have created CoH. I don't know another game which gave as many slots, but that's part of what made CoH what it was. Having many servers with 8 heroes on each gave unsurpassed freedom of trying out characters.

What the best strategy in choosing the number to give would depend on several factors, but if the decision is to give a small number then it should be done with the knowledge that it kills one major aspect of CoH.

I think that the question should be: why not give a lot of slots? I can see several answers:

- Cost. If HeroEngine gets some money per character, that would be a good reason not to go there. Same if database space has a cost. (But with the amount of storage available today, is that a real issue?) Also managing having many characters could have a cost.

- Monetisation. Selling character slots is a way to make money. The question is, is limiting character slots severely a good strategy for making money, or would it just result in alienating those who are used for a lot more from CoH and getting people used to having few slots? In particular for subscribers, do you want to get stingy with people who are already paying a regular fee? But this also applies to non-subscribers.

- Meanness/stinginess. That's the "there is no way I would give 12 character slots to one account" attitude. "I just don't feel right giving people a lot, because, eh, nobody else is doing it, so why should I?" I think that's the main reason people aren't willing to give a hundred slots to subscribers.

Nebulord wrote:(often people just create more F2P accounts using their multiple e-mail addresses anyway.)

Which is why it's better to give more slots. Having more accounts would likely be more of a burden on the system than having more slots in an account.
ET3D

Unread postby Blaze Rocker » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:16 am

If you're going to give plenty of slots to free accounts then you'd better make damn sure to limit either the content they can access, their maximum level or both. HaV is still intended to be run for enough profit to keep it online and for the developers to be paid for their work. The money has to come from somewhere and if you let players have too much for free they won't want to pay for anything but the bare minimums. Running on that plan players can play all they want and never pay a dime more than they have to which can lead to the system burden you speak of.
Do you want a server event to be crowded with freebies dual or tri boxing accounts so that they can gain the most rewards? Running all those extra accounts increases both server and network loads that slow down connection speeds for everyone else. I have no problem with freebies as long as they don't ruin the experience I pay for, and I want the money I spend to be worth it for me.
As I've said once or twice before, we want to bring people in and give them just enough to entice them to pay for more. Make those pay to play, or buy to play, accounts worth the money paid so people keep coming back for more for as long as possible. You give them a cookie so they'll want to buy that carton of smooth and creamy milk to wash it down.
I'm voting for no more than 8 slots for freebies. Let 'em pay for the other 4, 6 or whatever.
You're really gonna want that cowbell. :P
Blaze Rocker

Unread postby DisturbedOne21 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:19 am

I'm fine with limiting slots. Hell i could go with 2 or 3 slots as long as the content isn't limited (zones, items i can use, levels). I've always been a F2P and the closest i've gone to actually paying for a game was buying GW2 and i don't intend to make it something i'll be doing a lot, cash isn't something i can easily get especially when were talking dollars here instead of pesos. I get that you're a subscriber and you don't want your cash to be wasted.

It's just sounds like "If you want to play, you better pay or else you could suck it up." That made me hate DCUO in the first place, the constant reminder that i didn't have the cash to enjoy the game. Not saying make everything free but there has to be a middle ground somewhere. Although H&V isn't at the stage where the devs have to worry about the finance so i guess there's still time for them to decide how many slots a F2P and Subs get.

I still think the 3/12 is a good thing though. I don't have the need to create too many characters like others.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy" - The Joker (Batman: The Killing Joke)

Always found Insane characters as awesome creations of the minds that made them the way they are. May them be a villain like Joker, an Anti-Hero like Deadpool. Hell Batman is something of a reluctant psycho. Either way, Uncle Ben might say with great power comes great responsibly. I'm more of a believer of the term with Great power comes great insanity. And yes i read tvtropes a lot.

OC Character: Daniel Cray AKA Disturbed Guy/The Black Death/The Grin (depending on which names would be active)
Born on 455 AD
Nationality: Roman
Origin: Magic
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Powers: Fire/Darkness
DisturbedOne21

Unread postby ET3D » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:39 am

Blaze Rocker wrote:If you're going to give plenty of slots to free accounts then you'd better make damn sure to limit either the content they can access, their maximum level or both.

That's totally unrelated. Yes, there's need for a good business plan, and this includes considering what content gating the game will have. That's unrelated to slots for free accounts. As Nebulord said, F2P players can create multiple accounts anyway, and your own worry of tri-boxing also falls under this. It will happen, regardless of the number of F2P slots, but F2P players will likely create fewer accounts if they have more slots.

The only way I think a low number of slots for free is reasonable is if there's a "premium" account which ups it considerably. If for $5 or $10 you can up from, say, 2 to 8 slots, and get some more benefits, then I think that a lot of people would go for this, and it would be an initial influx of money for the game. That's what EQ2 did initially and they got my $10 (though they stopped, and over time removed most restrictions from F2P accounts; it probably works best at launch). Give 24 slots to subscribers.
ET3D

PreviousNext

Return to Character Creation and Appearance