Character Creation and Appearance General Discussion

Developing the charatcer creation process in Heroes and Villains

Re: Character Creation and Appearance General Discussion

Unread postby Blaze Rocker » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:02 am

Azrael wrote:
Blaze Rocker wrote:Sweet. :D

Too bad about the other stuff. I'll just have to find other ways to make a drag queen.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It didn't seem to stop many in Coh...especially the guys running around in heels on the 'female' alts... :o

Azrael.

Well, those were female alts... just like you said. You couldn't have a male in high heels, skirts or pigtails. You have to enable things like that in order to make drag queens.
You're really gonna want that cowbell. :P
Blaze Rocker

Unread postby JJohnson » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:55 pm

For CoH/CoV, we had multiple costume slots, and you could change size between them to enable "super mode" effects (one costume is 5'2", the next 6'4"). Would that be something enabled in HaV? Or perhaps switching between body types (male, huge, female)? That would open up more RP possibilities, especially if the villains were programmed to react to that ("What? Firekicker is a 7" giant? I thought he was just a pipsqueak!"). Or just the ability to switch body types would be nice between costumes. That and 'transitions' like CoH had.
JJohnson

Unread postby Golden Girl » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:51 pm

Switching body sizes shouldn't be too difficult, as it's basically swapping out one preset for another - the player has already chosen their sizes when creating their costumes, and those are stored as part of the character data, so to swap bodies would need the game to check the character data and load in the chosen costume.
Golden Girl

Unread postby Sonic Moonbeam » Sat May 03, 2014 3:01 pm

I would like to see a civilian option at character creation.

When you make your hero/villain it would go to "NEXT" tab and say "would you like to
create a civilian look?" and if you say yes, then you get a 2nd or if you say no, it
will skip on to the Next part of creation.

This would be handy for any costume change emotes. Many people want their hero to have a secret identity and in CoH, you could do that once you received a 2nd costume slot but then you are taking up a slot simply for a civilian look which I think should be inherent from the beginning. ALT costume slots would be for other costumes and if a person wants to use their powers in a civilian look, then they can do that and have an ALT civilian look.
Listen to my Light~~~~~~~~~
Sonic Moonbeam

Unread postby Golden Girl » Sat May 03, 2014 3:05 pm

That would be part of the Secret ID system - you'll be able to select a civilian outfit.
Golden Girl

Unread postby TheElad23 » Sun May 18, 2014 1:17 pm

I am curious. Someone mentioned long hair down to the ankles even. I like this idea but would we be using bones to animate hair too? One thing that drove me nuts was long hair options that stood stock still all the time. It ruined some of the feel to those characters for me. Hoping we could get more life in the character in that respect.
Operating System:Windows 2.6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1), CPU Type:Intel® Core™ i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20GHz, CPU Speed:2.22 GHz, System Memory:8.5 GB, Video Card Model:NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M, Video Card Memory:2.85 GB, Video Card Driver:nvumdshim.dll, Desktop Resolution:1920x1080, Hard Disk Size:640.13 GB, Hard Disk Free Space:128.21 GB (20%),
Download Speed:265.51 kB/s (2.1 mbps)
TheElad23

Unread postby Golden Girl » Sun May 18, 2014 1:23 pm

Hair will move, but anything that's very long would very likely take the place of a cape in the back slot.
Golden Girl

Unread postby TheElad23 » Sun May 18, 2014 1:55 pm

Sweet and I agree with that sometimes you just don't need a cape to make an awesome hero/villain. Makes me a happy camper with that. Can see a lot of really interesting long hair ideas be used instead of capes with this.
Operating System:Windows 2.6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1), CPU Type:Intel® Core™ i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20GHz, CPU Speed:2.22 GHz, System Memory:8.5 GB, Video Card Model:NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M, Video Card Memory:2.85 GB, Video Card Driver:nvumdshim.dll, Desktop Resolution:1920x1080, Hard Disk Size:640.13 GB, Hard Disk Free Space:128.21 GB (20%),
Download Speed:265.51 kB/s (2.1 mbps)
TheElad23

Unread postby Gypsy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:48 am

On the subjects of Civilian clothes and Head wear: CO really failed at civilian clothes. All the shirts are as tight as spandex, the selection of suit/sports jackets is appalling and trying to get it to look right is just a fail. I'm certain you will do a better job, because it is nigh impossible to do worse. As I recall CoX had an excellent selection of civilian clothes. My Villain Group had some great "Mac Daddy" suits for our VG uniform. Hats: Why is it that when you put on a hat, in some games, you are suddenly bald headed? if you have long hair and you put on a hat, there should be long hair below it, right?

On a side note, I hope you can do a good job with non-white characters. A good range of browns and off whites for skin and maybe look at a few hairstyle magazines for ideas on hair. There is certainly more to it than Afros and Corn Rows.

Finally, a word on color palettes. Sometimes games use 2 different palettes for items and skin. I do not know why. It seems to me that using one universal color palette would save time and effort. Using two palettes usually means that you can not match colors in the way you would like. At least, in my personal experience.
Gypsy

Unread postby Blaze Rocker » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:16 pm

Gypsy wrote:Finally, a word on color palettes. Sometimes games use 2 different palettes for items and skin. I do not know why. It seems to me that using one universal color palette would save time and effort. Using two palettes usually means that you can not match colors in the way you would like. At least, in my personal experience.

I'm relatively certain that CoH did it so that people couldn't make those skin-tight bodysuits, with no other colors or features, the same color as their character's skin as this could make them appear naked even without nipples, body hair or genitalia. It didn't stop people from trying though as I still remember seeing a couple toons with bodysuits and skin color that were almost identical. Cryptic/Paragon Studios were just trying to play it safe with that to avoid controversy, I'm sure.
You're really gonna want that cowbell. :P
Blaze Rocker

PreviousNext

Return to Character Creation and Appearance