Character Creation - In depth?

Developing the charatcer creation process in Heroes and Villains

Character Creation - In depth?

Unread postby pAragoN » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:14 am

I was wondering what you guys will do with this, which is definitely top 3 most important things in such a game.. you have to make over a hundred tops, t-shirts, capes, masks, boots, gloves etc.

And I hope you will make this WAY better than CoH, CO and Dc universe online's character creation, they all disappointed me a lot! especially with DC .. that was not character creation at all and CO really needed to make people add more layers of the same catergory, CO was alright, but generally bad because of it's outdated Character Creation (when I first tryid it, late 2010-2011).

Have you guys considered what to make and also about importing own logos ?
pAragoN

Re: Character Creation - In depth?

Unread postby Golden Girl » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:26 am

our character creation system will have plenty of variations, as well as more places to slot parts - but it will take time to build up to a similar level as the CoH costume creator, which had over 8 years' worth of parts added to it.

Player amde logos are not too hard to do technically, but they'd require extra work to check and approve/reject each one individually.
Golden Girl

Unread postby pAragoN » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:24 am

Golden Girl wrote:our character creation system will have plenty of variations, as well as more places to slot parts - but it will take time to build up to a similar level as the CoH costume creator, which had over 8 years' worth of parts added to it.

Player amde logos are not too hard to do technically, but they'd require extra work to check and approve/reject each one individually.

Yes of course, and I do not think that player logos is a too great idea, because I can imagine what some might upload and stuff, but ye, maybe if you (in the long run) could say.. alright, pay 1 dollar and you can be allowed to upload.. then you will earn money for the extra work by sorting out each logo.
pAragoN

Unread postby Genesis Soldier » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:16 am

The player-made logos could actually be a good line-item for a cash shop.

From what I have gathered (looking at some posts, there seems to be a uniformity ruling that HaV will be a hybrid model), if there is going to be a store of some kind, we would also use a system like what CoX had, as well as something that AeriaGames does: You use RL money to purchase virtual currency. Now, the exchange rate would need to be figured out, but for a custom player-made logo, you could charge the equivalent of 5 USD.

It's not that much money, and in the long run, if a lot of people play HaV, it's that one feature that people can really see as making their hero/villain their character; their baby, their creation.
Genesis Soldier

Unread postby Golden Girl » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:23 am

Genesis Soldier wrote:there seems to be a uniformity ruling that HaV will be a hybrid model

We do currently intend to use some type of hybrid model, as that gives the most flexibility for players - but we've not decided on the details yet - although our model is likely to be quite different from other hybrid models on the market right now.
Golden Girl

Unread postby JJohnson » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:24 am

For Character creation, have you seen how Star Trek online allows characters to be edited? Quite detailed with noses, eye color (something I always wished CoH had), ears, foreheads, breast size, hands (normal, clawed, three fingers), hair style (buzz cut, bald, normal hair, ponytails of various lengths, etc.), face type (chiseled, average, etc.). I'm just mentioning it for ideas on how to edit and arrange things on screen, in addition to how CoH had it. From the just-displayed screenshot, there were sliders I couldn't tell what they did.
JJohnson

Unread postby Golden Girl » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:38 am

Because HaV is being created a decade after work started on CoH, the advances in gaming technology since then means that the level of detail available for our avatars will be very much greater than what was available in CoH.
Golden Girl

Unread postby Flush CoH Defiant » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:15 am

I found The Icon store had all we needed, Colours/Suites/Wings/Auras/Travel Effects.
Thanks for making my favourite game even better!!!
Keep up the great/hard work GG.....
Flush/Skinz/SpectraPhantom/CosmicFlush/Blush - CoH.
FireFlush/DominatingFlush/DarkSkinz - CoV .
SlimSkinny - GoingRogue
DEFIANT.
#HeroesandVillains #CantWait
Flush CoH Defiant

Unread postby peachiest » Sat May 17, 2014 2:34 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I wanted to make a simple request, at least I hope it's simple. I'm not sure exactly what your plans are for colors. Perhaps others have already started discussion on this subject but I wanted to touch on it. I think a lot of people wanted more color options on CoH, and while I totally understand that, I went to try DCUO and was totally overwhelmed by the use of their color system. Long story short, I want to know if you are thinking about having set colors like CoH for costumes or a system for more color choices like DCUO. If you do go with DCUO type system, can I request an option to be able to choose to NOT use that system and to be able to just use a preset selection of colors? Not sure if my rambling makes a whole lot of sense but I just wanted to put it out there. Thanks. :)
peachiest

Unread postby Thazager » Sat May 17, 2014 4:58 pm

At present we have something similar to coh, but not exactly like it. Where they have a palette with so many colors, we have 3 sliders that will make any color of (256x256x256) or about 16.7 million possible combinations using red, green, and blue. If you find certain colors which give the RGB value for, it can be made. Or you could just move the sliders and find a mix you like. Most of the items will also have up to 4 colors each, 2 main colors and 2 highlighting colors.
HaV Lead Programmer/scripter
Thazager

Return to Character Creation and Appearance