Drag Option

Developing the charatcer creation process in Heroes and Villains

Re: Drag Option

Unread postby Blaze Rocker » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:34 pm

I kinda brought this up in another thread a while back, partially as a joke. When nothing else was said about it I figured there just wasn't enough interest. Seeing as how it's back up I think I'll voice my opinions.
In my many years of playing CoH the majority of my characters were female for two reasons. The first was because the superhero genre is male dominant and I wanted to see something different, the second was because the female form was easier to watch for hours on end than a dude's behind. The little roleplaying I did also made the game a lot more fun.
Noting that: "there is some interest in dragging" and "we should be open to potential game features" I believe that this warrants further examination and possible user polling. I think that there might be many more people open to the idea of drag/cross-dressing than there appears as this could make the game even more interesting/entertaining from a roleplaying stance. I don't follow those other CoH successors so I don't know what they have, but I would certainly like for HaV to have something that sets it appart from them and this sounds like an interesting possibility.

I will not say that I'm voting for this to be included in HaV at or immediately after launch. What I am saying is that I think it would be a good idea to keep things open for possibly adding it sometime in HaV's future in the event there is enough player support for the feature. I would like HaV to have this feature but I know that the priority is just getting the game to launch with the most needed and desired features and I think we can all agree that that takes precedence over an unnecessary feature. If we can ensure that such a thing could be a possibility later on then that would be a sensible thing to do. If it would simply be too hard to do then I can understand scrapping the whole idea and just revisiting it for HaV 2.
You're really gonna want that cowbell. :P
Blaze Rocker

Unread postby Golden Girl » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:26 pm

I'm not sure how big a deal this would be for the people who are interested in more drag options, but I think that it's worth pointing out that no matter what costume parts are used, the gender of a character is tied to the gender of the base model, and any gender-based text or other triggers would be based on that.

For example, with a character like Dean MacArthur - who calls the player "bro" or "babe" depending on the gender of the player's chosen base model, that would mean that even if a male base model was wearing a dress and heels, he'd still call them "bro", and wouldn't try and hit on them.
Golden Girl

Unread postby StAngelius » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:40 pm

Golden Girl wrote:For example, with a character like Dean MacArthur - who calls the player "bro" or "babe" depending on the gender of the player's chosen base model, that would mean that even if a male base model was wearing a dress and heels, he'd still call them "bro", and wouldn't try and hit on them.

Oh, that's not a problem misgendering is a day to day occurence for many in the Trans* community ;)
StAngelius

Unread postby Rigger » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:53 am

StAngelius wrote:I don't know why it does, but it does. My very existance does for some people.

Sad bear. :cry:
"Just run up on Fritz."
Rigger

Unread postby Gypsy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:16 am

Since no one but the player knows the actual gender of the toon, couldn't you use a female body and modify it using the character creation sliders to make it look like a man? Breast sized to zero and bulk up the body? I'm not sure what your final vision would be, but this is just an idea. At least the character creator would provide you with the corresponding costume options.
Gypsy

Previous

Return to Character Creation and Appearance