Ship of Heroes

General discussion related to Heroes and Villains

Ship of Heroes

Unread postby plinkyplonk » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:41 pm

The 'Ship of Heroes' IP appeared from nowhere. Looks interesting though and certainly the character designer is very CoH'esque.

I will not be chancing any investment into it but will watch it with interest as I have been doing City of Titans, although that IP has remained quiet even 2 years after the proposed release date.
plinkyplonk

Re: Ship of Heroes

Unread postby Blaze Rocker » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:36 pm

plinkyplonk wrote:I will not be chancing any investment into it but will watch it with interest as I have been doing City of Titans, although that IP has remained quiet even 2 years after the proposed release date.

They gave a 2015 release date for 'City of Titans'? My my. Somebody had WAY too much confidence in their abilities.

I first heard of 'Ship of Heroes' about two months back. I could barely believe anyone would start a CoH successor project this long after sunset, and while there were three other successor projects in the works.
Their screenshots look very pretty, as does their character creator. I don't like the setting at all though. It's extremely unusual for a world of superheroes and it puts their level of technology beyond the time period for classic weapons like guns and standard explosives. It also seems very out-of-place for magic origin characters. Unless they have reasonable ways around these issues it will put them at a disadvantage even if they manage to get to late beta.

It's a shame Plan Z and HGC can't merge game projects. We've got a couple years of development already done and a much better game setting.
"Aim for the crotch!"
Blaze Rocker

Unread postby Golden Girl » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:19 am

From what I've heard of this, it's aiming to be very much a clone of CoH, rather than it's own game with CoH as a starting point.
Golden Girl

Unread postby plinkyplonk » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:00 pm

The kickstarter was cancelled a couple of days ago.
plinkyplonk

Unread postby Blaze Rocker » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:03 pm

plinkyplonk wrote:The kickstarter was cancelled a couple of days ago.

"Canceled", but not failed. They are continuing on and will make another go at the Kickstarter at a later date.
"Aim for the crotch!"
Blaze Rocker

Unread postby Thazager » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:11 pm

From the few I have seen (kickstarters) it seems they are doing them to make quick money, and really don't care if the game is made? Its not to hard (like most people) to have a main job for the income, and work on the game like a hobby to get it going, rather than depend solely on the game for all their income, until the game is complete and earning the money.
HaV Lead Programmer/scripter
Thazager

Unread postby plinkyplonk » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:07 pm

As Blaze notes "not failed"

The dev team reviewed the response and will offer support direct on their site in the future with a release expected of some sort within 2 years.

Every speculation carries risk.
plinkyplonk

Unread postby Blaze Rocker » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:33 pm

Yes, I actually had to have someone explain to me how the Kickstarter works. By canceling they don't get any money and it actually makes them look better. It shows that they're paying attention to how the gaming community views their work and they decided to try again later when they had more progress to show.

It also shows that they're less concerned with the money and more with their reputation. (A lesson NCsoft could have learned five years ago.) It's such a shame that their game's setting is so different from HaV's. I'd be inclined to back SoH if it was more traditional.
"Aim for the crotch!"
Blaze Rocker

Unread postby Perdition » Tue May 02, 2017 7:08 am

Blaze Rocker wrote:
plinkyplonk wrote:I will not be chancing any investment into it but will watch it with interest as I have been doing City of Titans, although that IP has remained quiet even 2 years after the proposed release date.

They gave a 2015 release date for 'City of Titans'? My my. Somebody had WAY too much confidence in their abilities.

I first heard of 'Ship of Heroes' about two months back. I could barely believe anyone would start a CoH successor project this long after sunset, and while there were three other successor projects in the works.
Their screenshots look very pretty, as does their character creator. I don't like the setting at all though. It's extremely unusual for a world of superheroes and it puts their level of technology beyond the time period for classic weapons like guns and standard explosives. It also seems very out-of-place for magic origin characters. Unless they have reasonable ways around these issues it will put them at a disadvantage even if they manage to get to late beta.

It's a shame Plan Z and HGC can't merge game projects. We've got a couple years of development already done and a much better game setting.

I think the Kickstarter failed because Coity of Titans poisoned the well for anymore SuperHero MMOs to get funded unless it is by super established groups with serious intentions. When you take 600k of people's money and you have basically 2 joke demos to show in 4 years, it is not a good look.

I don't see a merge happening because there was just different philosophies from Day 1. You saw the other group go the Kickstater route, try to cash grab badges and other important/nostalgic parts of CoX universe, make grandiose claims about size and scope and set a firm release date. How's that working out for them. They are now in the same league as Physics and Spirit Mediums as those who took advantage of people in a vulnerable state for financial gain. I don't know if there will ever be an accurate accounting of that 600k. I'm sure it is long gone by now.

On the other hand GG and the team here have not took a dime so far, never make wild claims or talked about dates they may or may not have been able to hit. Just week after week of progress. Has it always gone as quick as we would have liked? No. But it has been steady, one week built off of the last and leading towards the next. This never was going to be a 1-2 year dash, especially with most people not doing this as a full time profession before this project started.

I just think the way the two teams went about business over the years has made it incompatible to merge and to be honest I think GG and her team would be taking a step down to merge. Many of those people are seen as griftes, conmen and worse. Whether they deserve those labels or not, I think it is fair to say they have underachieved insofar as the headstart they had and the large financial reserves they had to work with.

As far as Ship of Heroes I guess we will see how dedicated they are to still doing it since it looks like they will have to self fund or look for other sources.
Perdition

Unread postby Greyhawk » Tue May 09, 2017 2:43 am

I have been following all of the "spiritual successors". Not from day one. It took me a year or so to believe any of these projects would ever really get off the ground.

Like everyone else, Ship of Heroes took me completely by surprise. And, it is also apparent their late start is going to cost them, especially in terms of content. Like everyone else, they have some grandiose plans and an epic vision, but the complete lack of detailed lore leaves me concerned. Lore is the foundation a MMORPG rests on. Everything in the game, powers, NPCs, trade system, death penalty, all derive from the foundation created by the lore.

"Superheroes in Space" is a cute gimmick, but it does not qualify as "lore".
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My author page at Amazon.com:
https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B000APIPZC?r ... 0_33951330
Greyhawk

Next

Return to General Discussion