Just Got Back

An area for off-topic discussions that don't really relate to Heroes and Villains

Just Got Back

Unread postby Blaze Rocker » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:22 pm

I just got back from attending Pensacon 2017 http://pensacon.com/. I saw some celebrities and got some autographs, but the one thing that might interest you all is that as I was waiting in line to get in the guy directly behind me started talking about CoH out of nowhere. We talked for a couple of minutes and he was naturally just as pissed as the rest of us that NCsoft shut it down. He wasn't really following any of the CoH spiritual successor projects so I named-dropped HaV. And that was pretty much it.
There were plenty of people in costumes but nothing I recognized from CoH. Since I just attended my first comic/sci-fi/fantasy convention last year, and didn't see any there either, I'm going to assume that the best chance I would have had for seeing people dressed up as signature CoH characters was several years ago. I really should have thought about attending these events more than a decade ago. They're really great places to find interesting stuff and see . . . uhh, unusual people. :?
You're really gonna want that cowbell. :P
Blaze Rocker

Just Got Back - Again

Unread postby Blaze Rocker » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:47 am

Just got back from Wizard World Nashville. I got some autographs from Sam Jones and someone you all should recognize. It wasn't cheap but it was worth it just to be in the same room with Stan "The Man" Lee. I had to miss him last year at the Cincinnati Comic Expo due to my aunt's wedding but there was nothing stopping me from seeing him this year.

Although this is actually the fifth comic convention I've attended in a year's time I've never dressed up in a costume or outfit. It might also surprise you to know that I don't own any t-shirts with comic characters, logos or themes on them; I never have either. When it came to comic book characters 'City of Heroes' was really a fluke for me, because I don't really have a favorite comic character. All the ones I created in CoH are more my favorites than any existing copyrighted character.

This should be the last convention for me this year. There's just one more convention to attend then I can mark them all off of my yet-to-be-written bucket list: San Diego Comic Con. I'm making plans to attend in 2018. - Wish me luck that I make it.
Attachments
Stan Lee Pic2.jpg
Blaze Rocker

Re: Just Got Back

Unread postby Golden Girl » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:49 am

SDCC is probably the hardest one to get into because of the attention that it gets - you should try and grab tickets as soon as they're released.
Golden Girl

Just Got Back - Yet Again

Unread postby Blaze Rocker » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:23 pm

KevinConroy6.jpg
Bad timing on my part caused me to arrive later than I wanted to yesterday and I was forced to leave Nashville without a couple of things I originally went for. Fortunately, I sprung for the Stan Lee Gold VIP Package and it was good for the whole weekend. After another two hour drive I was back in Nashville this afternoon and I was able to get just what I was after. I got my 'Serenity' movie poster autographed by Summer Glau and look who else I was able to meet.

It's the Batman we hear but don't see. I caught actor Kevin Conroy just as he got back from a break and I was actually able to surprise him.
As I handed $40 to his booth assistant and put my hand on a print of Batman from the animated series I turned to him and asked, "So was 'Island City' supposed to be a pilot?" After about two seconds his eyes opened wide and he said, "Wow", in astonishment at someone mentioning the 1994 made-for-TV movie that he starred in. He confirmed that it was a pilot but no network picked it up. I said, "Yeah I don't see it ever getting more than one season. There wasn't enough there." He went, "Yeah, it was a paycheck." I noticed the disinterest in his tone and I curiously asked, "You didn't want it to be picked up?" His eyes opened wide again as he responded, "Noooooo." I got a little giggle out of it and assumed that Batman TAS was taking up enough of his time that he really didn't want to do a live-action series, so I didn't question further.

Of everyone I've encountered at comic conventions so far, Mr. Conroy was the most generous with his offerings. For forty dollars he offers one autograph (supplied print if you want one) and two photos. Everyone else I've encountered will ask a minimum of twenty dollars for one photo, usually thirty or forty, and still charge you anywhere from thirty to sixty dollars for one autograph.
For autograph hunters these conventions are not cheap by any means. I believe I just managed to get my money's worth with this one. My $450.00 VIP package got me three-day convention access ($80 for all three if purchased individually), two bags of various "stuff" (retail value of $80 or more, actual value is anyone's guess), one autograph from Stan Lee (normal price $120.00) and one photo OP with Stan (also $120.00). Although Mr. Lee's photo and autograph prices are practically insane I believe that it is actually worth more just to be able to get within two feet of a living legend. Tack on an extra $50 to $90 just for that and I'd say it all works out ... in my opinion anyway.

Well, I spent a ton on this and the other three conventions I've attended this year so my convention budget is totally gone. I'm planning on that trip to San Diego next year but with the U.S. economy about to head south from a huge overvaluation in the stock market, various loan bubbles (auto, housing, student), a colossal national debt and countries across the globe breaking their reliance on the dollar I fear that trip may end up on hold indefinitely as dark times are ahead for this country.
I guess we'll see how things play out in the coming months.
Blaze Rocker

Return to Off-Topic