Friday Update #249

The latest news and information about Heroes and Villains

Friday Update #249

Unread postby Golden Girl » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:13 am

This week, we’ve been doing some more design work on the day-night cycle for the game – which might sound like quite a straightforward element of the game to develop because of its very limited requirements – it’s either day, night, dawn or dusk – but the major issue is less about the technical aspects and more about its overall effect on the game world and then players.

For example, judging the length for the overall cycle is quite challenging – for games that have day-night cycles, the majority use the standard set-up of having the day section last quite a lot longer than the night section, which is done for a number of technical and artistic reasons.

First, from a narrative angle, with the pre-industrial fantasy genre still dominating gaming, having much of the story play out during the daytime makes sense. From a graphical angle, it also makes sense to have way more time devoted to daylight in order to show off the game world to its full advantage – and from a practical angle, it’s generally better to make sure that gameplay mostly takes place during the day part of the cycle, particularly if any of the game systems – and especially the combat system – relies on a lot of visual indicators to help players get the most from it.

Have a heroic/villainous weekend!

The Heroes and Villains team
Golden Girl

Re: Friday Update #249

Unread postby plinkyplonk » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:03 pm

The first thing I do in a new game is to turn up the gamma so that I can see at night. There is a fad for making night as black as possible these days and it really spoils the experience of the game. It could be day all the time for me in a game. It would also be nice to have that option.
plinkyplonk

Unread postby Golden Girl » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:47 am

While that can be done - and has been done in some games - the huge scope of a comic book universe means that there are certain to be some parts of it that would require some kind of darker environment - for example, Dark Astoria in CoH needed a dark lighting set-up to fit with the atmosphere and lore that the devs had created for it.
Golden Girl

Unread postby ET3D » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:51 am

Night scenes can be quite spectacular if done right, but it requires that the game will do a lot more than just darken the scene and add a few lights. Which would of course be quite a bit of work.

In the real world at night, especially in cities, people sit in restaurants, there are shows with lighted stages in open parks or stadiums, there are billboards, lighted landmark... It's a lot more splotchy, and indeed darker, but it's still varied and interesting. And because our eyes adjust, it doesn't look as dark in lighted areas, even though it really is much darker than daylight.

In a fantasy superhero world, we can have other night elements, such as light creatures who can only be seen at night, or villains and heroes who wear spectacular neon lighting.

I think that having special (graphical) things at night time and night life in the city would make nights a lot more special. I would like to see something like that, a world where I would look forward to the nights because they'd be beautiful and interesting.
ET3D

Return to News and Announcements