Friday Update #252

The latest news and information about Heroes and Villains

Friday Update #252

Unread postby Golden Girl » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:32 am

This week, we’ve been doing some more work on our supergroup system, which is another area where there’s room for us to make significant improvements over the one that was used in ‘City of Heroes’ – specifically, making it friendlier to solo players.

While the SG system, in CoH could be used by solo players, the actual process of setting an SG up required two accounts, either a second account for one player, or the account of another player, so it wasn’t a truly soloable system.
Solo players either had to rely on other players to get their SG started, or had to pay for a new account, neither of which is an acceptable option for a modern MMO, especially with regards to designing a system that is intentionally flawed as a way to get players to buy another account or spend extra money in some way to fix it, as that is not only unethical but also corrupts the overall design of the game.

The solution that we’ve implemented to fix this solo SG issue is the simplest one, and the fairest – players can create an SG and then invite one or more of their alts to it, without ever needing the help of another player or to spend a single extra cent tom do it.

Have a heroic/villainous weekend!

The Heroes and Villains team
Golden Girl

Re: Friday Update #252

Unread postby plinkyplonk » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:46 am

Excello! :D
plinkyplonk

Unread postby Blaze Rocker » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:56 am

Awesome.
You're really gonna want that cowbell. :P
Blaze Rocker

Unread postby ET3D » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:09 am

I think that CoH was simply created at a time when it was expected that people would work together. I think that 4 members were needed in Everquest 2 in order to form a guild. It's a nice idea, but I agree that it doesn't always work, and a lot of people (myself included) like their single player MMO's.
ET3D

Unread postby Chaotic.Blues » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:11 pm

I remember that this was often asked for in the COH request forum.
Chaotic.Blues

Unread postby Azrael » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:58 am

I can see why they did it but it seemed onerous to the single player. All that prestige to begin with was ridiculous. I couldn't be bothered. I eventually gave it a go in my last couple of years playing the game.

I always thought of CoH as a single player MMO that I had the option of teaming with other players. My favourite way to play...was in fact DUO-ing with others. This would often overcome any flaw in any archetype which could be compensated for by your duo partner. Eg. Two bubble bot defenders, one with energy, one with radiation. Lethal combo.

Azrael.
Azrael

Return to News and Announcements