Work in Progress Screenshots - the Hanging Gardens

The latest news and information about Heroes and Villains

Work in Progress Screenshots - the Hanging Gardens

Unread postby Golden Girl » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:30 pm

It's about time we had another production update, so here's one to mark the 10th anniversary of the launch of 'City of Heroes'.

Although Titan City is the focus for the game at launch and beyond, we’re also aiming to add some areas outside the city at launch to help give players an idea of the gigantic scope of the game world that we’re creating, and one of those areas is the Hanging Gardens, a section of the almost limitless expanse of the Antiverse that lies in the space between the countless realities of the Multiverse.

This is an area that’s been in development for a while now, and even though it still needs further texture and lighting passes and optimization, it’s advanced enough in production for screenshot to be able to give you a basic idea of its general look and feel, especially its gravity-defying structure, bizarre vegetation and overall dream-like atmosphere, all of which help to make a strong contrast to the familiar reality of Titan City.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HaV_Antiverse_Hanging_Gardens_Work_in_Progress_01.png
HaV Antiverse WiP 06

First cataloged by the Dimensional Research Institute in the late 1960s, the Hanging Gardens - or Fractal Shard Delta 9 Kappa Theta, to give it its official designation from the DRI - is one of the apparently infinite subdivisions of the Antiverse, the vast and strange space that exists between the multiple dimensions of the Multiverse, and like many other Shards, it’s mostly made up of smaller and larger chucks of floating matter, known as ‘skyles’ and ‘skylands’.

HaV_Antiverse_Hanging_Gardens_Work_in_Progress_02.png
HaV Antiverse WiP 05

Located on one of the rocky skylands is Fort Asphodel, a scientific and military outpost operated by EarthShield as part of their network of observation and early warning points to guard against extraterrestrial and extradimensional threats to the Earth.

HaV_Antiverse_Hanging_Gardens_Work_in_Progress_03.png
HaV Antiverse WiP 04

Although this Shard seems peaceful, EarthShield have followed their standard construction process of making full defensive use of the environment and have built Fort Asphodel into the rocky terrain.

HaV_Antiverse_Hanging_Gardens_Work_in_Progress_04.png
HaV Antiverse WiP 03

Of particular interest to EarthShield’s scientists are the plants found throughout the Hanging Gardens, which show unusual levels of development, and appear to communicate with each other by the humming made by their vibrating branches and the pulsing glow of their leaves.

HaV_Antiverse_Hanging_Gardens_Work_in_Progress_05.png
HaV Antiverse WiP 02

To mystics and other practitioners of arcane arts, the Hanging Gardens are known as Nemos, the Plane of Memory, and the Gardens of the Dreaming God, and it is just one of the countless Realms of the Otherworld.

HaV_Antiverse_Hanging_Gardens_Work_in_Progress_06.png
HaV Antiverse WiP 01

For those who are correctly attuned either by birth, study or ritual, there is a keenly felt presence of an all-pervasive dormant primal power throughout the Plane.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Golden Girl

Re: Work in Progress Screenshots - the Hanging Gardens

Unread postby adman123 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:04 pm

Oh my god......This looks awesome! :shock:
Hail Hydra!

Reach Me:
admanconnect@gmail.com
or
miniman888@gmail.com

Testing Specs:
Home PC
Windows Vista Home Premium
Memory: 9206MB RAM
Direct X 10
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
Chip: GeForce GTS 250
Sound:Realtek HDMI Output
Network Speed:130.0 Mbps

or
Laptop
Windows Vista Home Premium(6.0 Build 6002)
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual-Core QL-65 (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
Memory: 3838MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Display: ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
adman123

Unread postby Azrael » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:47 pm

A commendable and fitting update on the anniversary of CoH.

A gentle smile* as I looked at the CoH 'feel' to the graphics. (I only hope your combat system can replicate a similar 'feel' in play.) Similar to the 'other world' places in CoH - a nice dimensional and serene leap from the 'city.'

Visually, at least, it looks like the CoH legacy is in safe hands.

Well done.

Azrael.
Azrael

Unread postby Rigger » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:15 am

This is kicking my happy behind. Great work, folks!
"Just run up on Fritz."
Rigger

Unread postby MrManhattan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:45 am

oh that is sweet looking!! Can't wait to see more!
"That's MR. Manhattan to you!"
MrManhattan

Unread postby Chaotic.Blues » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:32 pm

Pardon me, I'm just going to look at the pretty glowing flowers for a while.
Chaotic.Blues

Unread postby Perdition » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:38 pm

I was just thinking about the 10th Anniversary of launch and I come here and see a love letter to the Shadow Shard. Thank you again for doing things the right way. I saw that joke of a vid for City of Titans and seriously it looks like some college freshman's first attempt at a demo. They got 700k on the back of the CoH name and that's the best they could do?

I'm so glad I supported HaV and never looked back. No cash grabs, just making sure things are high quality.
Perdition

Unread postby Blaze Rocker » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:58 am

Perdition wrote:I was just thinking about the 10th Anniversary of launch and I come here and see a love letter to the Shadow Shard. Thank you again for doing things the right way. I saw that joke of a vid for City of Titans and seriously it looks like some college freshman's first attempt at a demo. They got 700k on the back of the CoH name and that's the best they could do?

I'm so glad I supported HaV and never looked back. No cash grabs, just making sure things are high quality.

HaV may not have the support CoT has, HaV may launch later than CoT does and Plan Z Studios may not have the Kickstarter cash Missing Worlds Media has but I know Heroes and Villains will end up being the better game. If I were the betting type I'd put money on HaV outlasting CoT.
The Hanging Gardens do look very nice. I hope to see more good things in the coming months. :)
Look, just hand over the cowbell and nobody gets hurt.
Blaze Rocker

Unread postby Azrael » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:39 pm

There's a palpable, quiet, unspoken tension in the words of Golden Girl and the H&V team. i.e. one where actions speak louder than words.

As Steve Jobs once said, 'Money isn't everything.' And for many years of Apple's 'comeback' to technological ubiquity...Apple had much smaller teams, a much smaller workforce. And the point has been made that having legions of programmers don't necessarily mean more efficient output or more product. Or more quality product.

As H&V's lead programmer tellingly revealed. He personally and thoroughly checks his deliberate output before releasing it to the QA (appropriately small for now...) for testing. He's a programmer, yes...but he's a player! It's a 50/50 relationship. The H&V team understand full well what this 'game' means.

H&V has that 'feel' of a 'start up.'

They keep their heads down and get on with the 'less fashionable' aspects of development. Nothing loud or showy. Each week, we get told exactly what the 'team' is working on. No obnoxious preening of chest feathers here. Merely, a quiet resolve and integrity born of a righteous anger from the embers of CoH's ignominious end.

But...when we DO see something, it has the quality and authority of H&V's mission statement. i.e. to carry CoH's torch forward building on its strengths and recognising it's weaknesses.

I wish all three 'spiritual' successors good fortune in their quest for heir apparent. (Though, I'd wager CoH itself won't stay 'dead' for ever...)

However, only H&V seems to strike that 'chord' with me and seem to have the mandate to get as 'close' as is legally possible without (obviously) infringing on IP. i.e. while it won't be a straight copy it should have recognisable characteristics in interface, powers, character builder and in the districts which make up the 'single' city.

There's no, 'we loved CoH' but 'let's have a debate as to how we can change the fundamentals...' (i.e. rooted vs energy builder combat, *shudders.)

No. None of that.

And fundamentally, getting that 'combat' feel (more like CoH's tour de force ballet than skittish dynamic 'dance' of Champions Online...) just right and that 'pitch perfect' feel of mobs with the welcoming but pensive ambience of Paragon City.

It's a tall order.

Unreal 4 is a formidable engine. It's very contemporary and impressive tech'.

However, the Hero engine is an end to end solution for an MMO and probably fits like a glove with the 'smaller' and more intimate H&V team. ...and seems closer in feel to CoH and so far, the H&V team seem to be exploiting that. As the 'Hanging Gardens' pictures demonstrate a team's commitment to the spiritual integrity of the original game.

'A Love Letter.'

I approve.

Azrael.
Azrael

Unread postby GrimStranger » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:22 pm

Gorgeous. Simply gorgeous.
GrimStranger

Next

Return to News and Announcements