Friday Update #247

The latest news and information about Heroes and Villains

Friday Update #247

Unread postby Golden Girl » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:10 am

This week, we’ve been doing some more coding and design work on the system for letting players pick up and throw environmental objects, as part of our aim of making the game world more interactive than it was in ‘City of Heroes’.

There are two major aspects to creating a system like this – the first one is how far we should go when it comes to weaponizing the environment, as not only are there potential performance issues that come with adding more moving pieces to the environment, but there are also the effects on tactics and balance that come into play if you give melee players access to a variety of ranged attacks from environmental items.

The second aspect involves the amount of regulation that should be used to help keep the scale and the pace of the environmental destruction at a manageable level, so that a single player – or even a group of players – would be unable to vandalize the whole city at once, as that would be disruptive for other players.
Cleaning up areas that had seen some environmental mayhem also needs to be done in a way that doesn’t make the reset happen too quickly, as that undermines the sense the player should get of having taken part in a classic superpowered street fight.

Have a heroic/villainous weekend!

The Heroes and Villains team
Golden Girl

Re: Friday Update #247

Unread postby bcloaded » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:34 pm

This reminds me a lot of what they do in DC Universe Online and I feel it works great. When you destroy objects in the world they usually take about 5-10 seconds to respawn, since they are so easily destroyed I feel this is a good time that way the objects aren't always staying destroyed so no one ever gets to see them yet they don't respawn so fast that the players lose the immersion.

As for the objects that can be picked up, I feel the same timer should be in place for when the object is destroyed however when it is being held it still persists an is not duplicated back in its original location.

Return to News and Announcements