Friday Update #254

The latest news and information about Heroes and Villains

Friday Update #254

Unread postby Golden Girl » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:05 am

This week, we’ve been doing some more design work on our powers system, with the focus turning back towards some of the rare but still well-known power types from comics that could be potentially adapted into the framework of a video game.

An example of this from ‘City of Heroes’ would be the claws power set – not a theme used by a lot of comic book characters, but the popularity of Wolverine makes it an superpower in spite of its relatively few users.

However, the claws power set from CoH wasn’t really different from any other melee set, so it was case of simply being cosmetically rare comic book power rather than mechanically unique one, unlike, for example, body stretching or morphing.
Like Wolverine and claws, body stretching/morphing is pretty rare in comics, but it’s use by Mister Fantastic – with support from Plastic Man – makes it similarly iconic, and something that you might expect a comic book game to have as an option.

The problem though is that it’s not just cosmetically rare but would also require a totally unique mechanical framework to make it even remotely authentic and engaging to play – with the kind of complexity that would be tough to pull off even in a single player game that was built entirely around the concept.

Have a heroic/villainous weekend!

The Heroes and Villains team
Golden Girl

Re: Friday Update #254

Unread postby Blaze Rocker » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:05 am

I haven't gotten around to building a Claws power set yet, but it's on my list of sets-to-do. I guess you've been building your own without me.
I've had to slow down recently due to my second hernia surgery, as that's kept me in bed and in a general state of recovery. I'm feeling better and I'm slowly getting back to building sets. I'll keep updating my lists http://www.heroes-and-villains.com/phpb/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=317&start=150#p8407 as I get more done. I can also provide you with completed sets upon request.
Blaze Rocker

Unread postby Azrael » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:54 am

Second hernia surgery? Hmm. Need to take your recovery carefully with that.

As for a claws power set. I enjoyed claws. A fun set. I did enjoy the claws roundhouse attack or claw spin for AoE damage. Nice with region. You could get stamina and Quick Recovery.

I'd settle for HaV having the basic CoH power sets of ice, fire, energy, super strength etc. And the basic 5 CoH types though the CoV sets would be icing on the cake.

Azrael.
Azrael

Unread postby Azrael » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:55 am

As for a Mr. Fantastic power set? Surely not? :o

Azrael.
Azrael

Return to News and Announcements