Technical Discussion

General discussion of the tech being developed and used in Heroes and Villains.

Re: Technical Discussion

Unread postby Golden Girl » Fri May 09, 2014 9:11 am

Rigger wrote:Hi. I don't know where else to ask this.

Is gravity modifiable with the HeroEngine? I've got two story ideas that I'd like to flesh out, but I'm not sure if the physics will work.

1. A mission (and/or fight) on an orbiting space station that includes periods of weightlessness. Temporary "group fly" or jet packs would be involved, but when a character moves in a direction, that direction becomes their new "up", instead of the character automatically resuming their previous orientation. Is there a way to override auto-correction of directional attitude?

2. A mission with an end-boss who can control gravity. When he manipulates gravity during the fight, he completely changes the gravitational direction of the instance. I imagine a large room in which the walls, ceiling, and floor quickly and randomly become the new "down", and the boss keeps switching it around, to keep players disoriented. All loose items in the room react accordingly.

Gravity can be changed from its default setting - we've already done that for a basic flying effect - so creating some areas or environments where gravity is unusual might be possible.
Golden Girl

Unread postby Rigger » Fri May 09, 2014 8:03 pm

Thank you!
"Just run up on Fritz."
Rigger

Unread postby Blaze Rocker » Sat May 10, 2014 3:08 am

Rigger wrote:Hi. I don't know where else to ask this.

Is gravity modifiable with the HeroEngine? I've got two story ideas that I'd like to flesh out, but I'm not sure if the physics will work.

1. A mission (and/or fight) on an orbiting space station that includes periods of weightlessness. Temporary "group fly" or jet packs would be involved, but when a character moves in a direction, that direction becomes their new "up", instead of the character automatically resuming their previous orientation. Is there a way to override auto-correction of directional attitude?

2. A mission with an end-boss who can control gravity. When he manipulates gravity during the fight, he completely changes the gravitational direction of the instance. I imagine a large room in which the walls, ceiling, and floor quickly and randomly become the new "down", and the boss keeps switching it around, to keep players disoriented. All loose items in the room react accordingly.

Dood! This idea sounds pretty sweet. I would support this idea even on normal worlds like Earth and similar dimensions with standard gravity. The thought that comes to mind is that cave in 'Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life'. I don't remember what it was called but the way gravity would work anywhere there was a surface to stand on would be totally awesome to recreate in a video game, and I'd love to see it in HaV if it were possible.
You've got my vote. :P
"Aim for the crotch!"
Blaze Rocker

Unread postby Rigger » Sat May 10, 2014 4:59 am

Blaze Rocker wrote:I would support this idea even on normal worlds like Earth and similar dimensions with standard gravity.

Thanks! The gravity boss story takes place indoors on earth, definitely. I'm trying to figure out an arrangement that would make temp flight optional during combat, but because melée players would need a way to get at the boss at the end, I'm pretty certain that flight is required. If so, then the indoor settings could just be standard interiors, with hallways and stuff, and that might be even more fun.

Blaze Rocker wrote:The thought that comes to mind is that cave in 'Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life'. I don't remember what it was called but the way gravity would work anywhere there was a surface to stand on...

I've never seen that. In fact, I thought you were talking about one of the TR games. I had to go look it up. :oops:

If I'm reading your description correctly, it sounds close to the original orbiting space station concept, which was to give the characters mag-boots that easily converted any ferrous surface to "down". But then I couldn't figure out how the devs could make that work, mechanically. Like, when a character is walking, how do you get them to raise their foot high enough to press it against a wall? And how do you make them shift their center of balance perpendicular to their previous orientation? And how do you get that to happen ONLY when you want it to happen? And how do you make it all feel natural and intuitive? I got bogged down in those details, so I shifted over to weightless flight, which I think is easier, and serves my purposes for the story just as well.
"Just run up on Fritz."
Rigger

Unread postby Blaze Rocker » Sat May 10, 2014 8:37 am

I couldn't begin to get into the technical details as I'm not a programmer or special FX person. I just envisioned it in the simpliest means possible. Okay, maybe you saw 'Inception'. Remember when they folded the city over itself and then walked UP the sidewalk which was at a 90' angle? Or maybe you've seen the artwork or some tv promo where there were crazy stairs built at all positions and people were walking straight down or sideways along the wall and yet the gravity for them was completely normal?
Even more simple examples would be the spacecraft Discovery in 2001: A Space Odyssey. Remember when, one of the crew was jogging (it's been a while so I don't remember which one it was, Poole or Bowman) and the inside of the ship was like a hamster wheel? The walkway was curved so that's easy to understand. Did you ever play The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time? There were twisting hallways in the forest temple that you eventually had to straighten out.
Sounds rather simple, but I'm sure that actually designing a room or even an event with gravity walls isn't quite so simple. I can see the Zero-G part in the middle of rooms very easily. Sounds cool, although any inertia effects from powers may not happen since they aren't part of the typical MMORPG. Also, I'd say that you'd likely run into problems if a character was headed toward a gravity wall/floor at a high rate of speed. They'd probably take some damage upon impact. Even at slow speeds if the character doesn't transition properly then their landing would likely be similar to a KnockUp effect and they'd fall onto their new floor and have to stand up.
I would LOVE for HaV to have at least one event like gravity walls. If it could be done it would blow away the competition, as long as nobody else had done it yet.
I've halted all work on my dam event (formerly dam TF) due to lack of outside interest, so if you need any consultation or second opinions then send me a line. :D
"Aim for the crotch!"
Blaze Rocker

Unread postby cosminbh » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:50 pm

What powers or archtypes are we talking about?
I want to see some like Magneto or Storm.

And what about outfits we will have acces to all costume parts or we will have to pay a subscription fee.
I agree to the subscription fee model only if the game worth it and offers good stuff not like CO. I played CO only a couple of days but the difference between silver player and gold player is way to big, also the resource and stuff you need to gather to get what gold players have takes you an eternity and to be frank the game feels empty without the possibility to influence a city or your aligment to shift from hero to villain or so on. I really like the idea of an allignment in this game. Also will you support a kind of life-time subscription? And what about the city of titans project which is rumored to be a continuation of CoH. I haven't played CoH so i don't know about it that is why i ask you this questions. And what about some alternative futures or missions with time travel and different consequences will that be possible?
cosminbh

Unread postby Golden Girl » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:53 pm

We're starting off with powers and ATs that cover common comic book themes, which means they'll be somewhat similar to CoH, but with more flexibility - plus, we've got a number of power themes being planned that were never in CoH at all, so eventually you should find just about any type of comic book power in HaV.

We've not decided on the exact payment model yet, but it won't involve exploiting the players.
Lifetime subs will not be available, as those are not a good long-term business decision.

The majority of costume parts will be available right from the start of the game, as making your outfit is one of the big attractions in a comic book game.

Resource gathering won't really be a big feature of the game, as it's not really something that characters in comic books do very often.

Time travel and alternative dimensions and realities are going to be a part of some of the stories, and player decisions will have some effect on what the world looks like to each player.
Golden Girl

Unread postby Blaze Rocker » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:47 pm

Additional information about the City of Heroes revival project, Task Force Hail Mary, can be found here.
http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php ... 284.0.html

Magnetism is unlikely to be a power set found in HaV because of the unique mechanics involved but you should be able to make a character with a varying mix of ice, electrical and weather controlling abilities, though perhaps not all of them on one character. Alignment switching should also be possible.
"Aim for the crotch!"
Blaze Rocker

Unread postby cosminbh » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:15 pm

Do you have a business model in mind?
Will you have free player and sub player or there will be subscription fee only?
cosminbh

Unread postby Golden Girl » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:33 am

cosminbh wrote:Do you have a business model in mind?
Will you have free player and sub player or there will be subscription fee only?

We've not made a final decision on that yet - we want to make the game accessible to as many people as we can, but we also want it to be a good quality experience for all the players.
Once the business model is decided, we'll announce it and make sure that everyone knows about it.
Golden Girl

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion