MMO back end?

General discussion of the tech being developed and used in Heroes and Villains.

MMO back end?

Unread postby Ohioknight » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:27 pm

Hey folks, In the discussions of TPP's kickstarter, one of the commenters on a gaming site had this notation: "Unreal does not have an MMO back-end built in, they are either going to have to integrate one or write their own". That may be one of the scariest sentences I've read regarding any of the "Plan Z" projects. Is this also the case with the Hero Engine, and if so, does H&V have plans or ideas for getting over that hurdle?
Ohioknight

Re: MMO back end?

Unread postby Golden Girl » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:16 pm

The back end is already built into the HeroEngine, which allows us to focus on the front end work of art and system programming.
Golden Girl

Unread postby Ohioknight » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:19 pm

Very glad to hear it -- that's kind-of what I thought and was my understanding of the greatest virtue of going Hero Engine -- anything that takes the base support-level tech risk out of the hands of a volunteer-driven project sounds majorly good to me.
Ohioknight

Unread postby Golden Girl » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:24 pm

We've been very careful to set up the HaV project to have the biggest chance of success, which includes the choice of engine.
Golden Girl

Unread postby Thazager » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:29 pm

At present our only slowness is currently from the few amount of volunteers. There are plenty in the testing and writing areas, though we are low in the amount of programmers willing to use the HSL scripting that is part of the Hero Engine. The source which would make it much faster as more c++ programmers could be useful, is a bit costly, and beyond our free status.
HaV Lead Programmer/scripter
Thazager

Unread postby Perdition » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:39 pm

It seems like a harder road now, but I think you guys will have the much better chance of success. Slow but steady wins the race!
Perdition

Unread postby Ohioknight » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:53 am

Thazager wrote:At present our only slowness is currently from the few amount of volunteers. There are plenty in the testing and writing areas, though we are low in the amount of programmers willing to use the HSL scripting that is part of the Hero Engine.

Okay, I've been hesitant but since I saw your comment I've been doing a bit of looking at HSL wiki and some tutorials. I'm a 30+ year software developer (just moved into a full-time Requirements Analyst role on an Agile line). My career has been 80+ percent back-end business application/database development/maintenance but I'm just coming off several years supporting Informatica ETL applications and while I would never call myself a Unix developer I have actually written C++ scripts (badly) that are in production.

So no guarantees here, but I'm looking at the possibility of learning into HSL as a hobby with the hope of being able to actually contribute something to the effort -- I certainly know the basics of software tools, development, and debugging though I would be a total novice at game development.

Do you have suggestions as to how (or if) I should proceed to explore this and can you envision a possibility where I could actually speed up rather than slow down development?
Ohioknight

Unread postby Thazager » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:29 am

Here is the basics for the HSL scripting http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/HSL We have a few that are currently learning it also. Here is a little more info http://hewiki.heroengine.com/wiki/HSL_For_Programmers for those who have read through the other.
HaV Lead Programmer/scripter
Thazager

Unread postby Ohioknight » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:28 pm

So, if I shell out $100 for Hero Engine cloud sub and get myself familiar with HSL scripting, would you guys have work for me to kick in on? Is that the proper path to helping out on the tech line or would a novice volunteer not be worth the time?
Ohioknight

Unread postby Golden Girl » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:54 pm

Ohioknight wrote:So, if I shell out $100 for Hero Engine cloud sub and get myself familiar with HSL scripting, would you guys have work for me to kick in on? Is that the proper path to helping out on the tech line or would a novice volunteer not be worth the time?

You don't need to get the engine - we already have the license covered, with seats for 99 developers.
Golden Girl

Next

Return to Technical Discussion