Occulus Rift and virtual reality

General discussion of the tech being developed and used in Heroes and Villains.

Occulus Rift and virtual reality

Unread postby St.Nick » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:15 pm

I have been seeing news that the Occulus Rift virtual reality headset will be commercially available sometime in 2015. Is anyone looking into what would be necessary to make Heroes and Villains compatible for use with Occulus Rift? I know that in City of Heroes you could go from 3rd person to first person by pulling back the camera. Is this going to be possible in Heroes and Villains?

Can you imagine being able to play a superhero game in virtual reality? How much fun would flying, super jump and super speed be?

I do not know if games will require special programming to work with the Occulus Rift or will it interface like mouse or joysticks, but I do think it would be great if Heroes and Villains would be compatible.
St.Nick

Re: Occulus Rift and virtual reality

Unread postby Blaze Rocker » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:08 pm

Though I can't speak for wanting HaV to be Occulus compatible I will say that just playing HaV in 3D on a monitor or tv would certainly be cool. If making HaV with a 3D mode appeals to the devs then I'll support it.
You're really gonna want that cowbell. :P
Blaze Rocker

Unread postby Golden Girl » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:26 pm

It's not something that we've looked into, but I know that Rift is working on implementing it, so that sounds like its's something that could be added to a game at a later date, without needing to build a game for it from the ground up.
Golden Girl

Unread postby Rigger » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:42 am

There is not enough Dramamine in the world.
"Just run up on Fritz."
Rigger

Unread postby Blaze Rocker » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:50 am

Rigger wrote:There is not enough Dramamine in the world.

LOL! Took me a minute to remember what Dramamine was for.

I take it you're not a fan of 3D movies and games, or is it just virtual reality?
Blaze Rocker

Unread postby Golden Girl » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:38 am

Something else to keep in mind is that although VR is back as a buzzword in gaming, there's still no evidence yet that it's a long-term trend, or something that has a huge demand - companies who are currently developing or adapting games for it are gambling on its future take-up, which isn't something that a small indie effort like HaV with our limited resources could really do without potentially putting the project at risk.
Golden Girl

Unread postby Blaze Rocker » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:19 pm

I think the biggest reason VR has made a comeback since the 90's is that Occulus Rift is meant to "eventually" be marketed to the public at a price that is within the budgets of the average consumer. It's probably going to be the next big thing in both first person perspective gaming and portable gaming. Personally though I don't see it being popular with the RPG crowd who are use to a third person perspective. What's the point of spending an hour in the character creator getting your character just right only to spend most of your time in first person mode where you can't enjoy all of their awesomeness?
I'll support whatever the devs decide to do regarding 3D and VR support.
Blaze Rocker

Unread postby Rigger » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:19 am

Blaze Rocker wrote:What's the point of spending an hour in the character creator getting your character just right only to spend most of your time in first person mode where you can't enjoy all of their awesomeness?

Word.

And don't get me wrong; I'm all for 3D/VR, if people want to head down that path. I'll just never plug it in myself. I get REALLY bad motion sickness with movies and video games sometimes. The Blair Witch Project destroyed me. After 20 minutes I had to go sit in the car and breathe slowly. Left 4 Dead does it to me, which I hate, because otherwise that game is perfect. The Oranbega tunnels in CoH did it to me too.

Ugh, just thinking about it...
"Just run up on Fritz."
Rigger

Unread postby St.Nick » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:52 pm

I know that VR will not be for everyone, different gaming styles and such. and I am not saying the Devs need to dump a lot of time and energy into it.

But, I have seen videos of already existing games,that have been ported to the Occulus Rift. (and yes, I know it is all still developing) but if it doesn't require much other than being able to play from 1st person (which Coh did). It could be very cool way to play a superhero game. Plus I believe you could still use the Occulus Rift in 3rd person, it would just let you be able to see all around in 3d.

I would be very happy just to have HaV as a playable game right now.

But I will admit that to play as a virtual superhero, especially flying and super jump, would be loads of fun. I don't have motion sickness issues, roller coaster, skydiving, and airplane aerobatics, are all good to me, I love getting inverted for some reason. :roll:
St.Nick

Return to Technical Discussion