Characters General Discussion

Developing the NPC characters in the game

Re: Characters General Discussion

Unread postby Exo-Buster » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:08 am

Golden Girl wrote:I think that the concept could fit in pretty well in the world that we're developing, although Lemuria is currently more of a background element right now, rather than something that will be taking up a lot of the planned launch content.

Thanks!

I wasn't sure where to tie in Koschei's origins and went for Lemuria since they seemed suitably ancient. He can be pretty easily refluffed into being an independent force though.

I had the idea that generally the greatest of the undead in a superhero setting is either a ghost or a vampire, and I thought why not mix things up a little and bring in a Lich instead? A Lich has a built in means of returning to plague the setting again and again and skeletal/dessicated forms of undead don't get used quite enough outside of outright fantasy these days. Also the idea of a Sorcerer who railed at the very thought of death taking him but refused to be anyone else's slave as Vampirism would entail, and thus sought out a means of eternal existence even at the cost of his own flesh and the vestiges of his humanity is pretty cool. Plus a Necromancer villain can always have an army at hand, and his avatars bring in the doom bot dilemma. Did you defeat him? Or did you just take out another copy?

It makes him rather suitable for an MMO's world where reoccuring villains frequently need explanations for how they got out of their prior defeat at the hand of the PCs and where their minions came from. Adding in the detail of him not being at his full power (and still capable of growing in his sorcerous might even then) also gives a natural way for the threat to escalate.
Time to get the hell out of Dodge.
Exo-Buster

Unread postby Blaze Rocker » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:00 pm

Exo-Buster wrote:Thanks!

I wasn't sure where to tie in Koschei's origins and went for Lemuria since they seemed suitably ancient. He can be pretty easily refluffed into being an independent force though.

I had the idea that generally the greatest of the undead in a superhero setting is either a ghost or a vampire, and I thought why not mix things up a little and bring in a Lich instead? A Lich has a built in means of returning to plague the setting again and again and skeletal/dessicated forms of undead don't get used quite enough outside of outright fantasy these days. Also the idea of a Sorcerer who railed at the very thought of death taking him but refused to be anyone else's slave as Vampirism would entail, and thus sought out a means of eternal existence even at the cost of his own flesh and the vestiges of his humanity is pretty cool. Plus a Necromancer villain can always have an army at hand, and his avatars bring in the doom bot dilemma. Did you defeat him? Or did you just take out another copy?

It makes him rather suitable for an MMO's world where reoccuring villains frequently need explanations for how they got out of their prior defeat at the hand of the PCs and where their minions came from. Adding in the detail of him not being at his full power (and still capable of growing in his sorcerous might even then) also gives a natural way for the threat to escalate.

Sounds like this could be HaV's version of Nemesis. Until you did the Rikti War Zone arcs you never fought the real one. You had to get to the end of the game to do it. I could go for this. :)
Look, just hand over the cowbell and nobody gets hurt.
Blaze Rocker

Unread postby Exo-Buster » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:13 am

Blaze Rocker wrote:
Exo-Buster wrote:Thanks!

Sounds like this could be HaV's version of Nemesis. Until you did the Rikti War Zone arcs you never fought the real one. You had to get to the end of the game to do it. I could go for this. :)

Plus a Necromancer of Koschei's power (even in his reduced state he still walked the fields of the eastern front like an angry god and challenged the Stalin's superhumans wherever he went and does not beholden himself to anyone else's hierarchy) always has minions to call upon. He doesn't even need corpses or souls, he can just weave necromantic power into inanimate objects and create golems at will; or summon extradimensional creatures or mind control others, and there are always people who would worship him and follow him in hopes of learning his ways so that one day; they too can be powerful.

And while Sorcery is his main deal, he's not above studying the ways of science, if only to understand how it works so that he can counter it. You could see him talking shop with mad scientists to better understand their craft and reading through scientific papers on his own. Knowledge is power after all, and it would scarcely pay to lock oneself out of information. He could even team up with or hire out mad scientist villains to create fusions of Necromantic power and dark science.

And yeah; you're never quite sure if you've actually fought the real Koschei, or just another Lich disguised as him or one of his avatars or magical simalcrums. Given his burning hatred of Russia (he'll quite happily rule the world; Russia though, he would leave as dust and ash with nothing but the silent dead to stand in testimony to him, such is his loathing of the land that thwarted his first big attempt to return), Russian and/or Ex-Soviet superheroes could also be a good tie in to him, in addition to other mysticists and your more standard avenues of contact.
Time to get the hell out of Dodge.
Exo-Buster

Previous

Return to Characters