Brands and Logos General Discussion

Developing the brands and logos in the game world

Re: Brands and Logos General Discussion

Unread postby dawho5 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:12 pm

I looked over the list of businesses and didn't see any generic hardware stores, like Menards, Home Depot, etc. and their more local offshoots. I have one idea for a local hardware store and one that is a little more off the wall.

Tom's Tool Shed

In 1944 Tom Cavanaugh, a recently retired carpenter, got fed up with retirement. He bought out a small building in South Overlook and sold good advice and good tools with a smile and a handshake. His children, Richard and Alice, were in on the venture and kept it running after Tom was too old to continue. The Tool Shed became a fixture in the lower class neighborhoods (and some of the more middle class as well) due to the family's commitment to the values that Tom Cavanaugh built the company on.

Logo will be simple, like something a carpenter would have come up with in 1944. Only change since the original is an added "Serving Titan City since 1944" in the same vein as the rest of the sign. The building itself should be the right size and clean, but nothing at all stylized. It should be the very definition of the wholesome 1950s look.

VersaCo

In the mid 1950s a cartoon was developed (and ran for many years) with a speedster named the Fleet Fox fighting crime in very innocent ways (think silver age stuff here). One of his main enemies, Maurice D. Slickster (I think you know what his hair looks like) would constantly receive large boxes from a company called VersaCo, containing all manner of odd snares and traps meant to catch the Fox. These traps always malfunctioned in humorous ways, often catching Maurice for the Fox. During the 70s, an underground company calling itself the same began outfitting criminals with tech weapons, suit upgrades, gadgets, you name it. None of the comedic properties of the cartoon VersiCo were present. The government and heroes began investigating all of the shadier tech companies, never finding any connection. VersaCo always seems to be one step ahead of both, managing to find ways to supply the world's villains with state of the art gear while avoiding detection.

Not sure you'd need a log, maybe have it be just a thing villains hear word of mouth. If there must be a logo, there should be something on it to the effect of "If you have to ask, we're not telling."
dawho5

Unread postby Rigger » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:38 am

dawho5 wrote:I looked over the list of businesses and didn't see any generic hardware stores, like Menards, Home Depot, etc. and their more local offshoots. I have one idea for a local hardware store and one that is a little more off the wall.

I did some digging into hardware and general store logos from the 30s and 40s, and based on what I saw, this is what I came up with for Tom's.
tomsToolShed.png

VersaCo stumped me. I looked at all the ACME logos from the Roadrunner cartoons, but they were all pretty bland (which you'd kind of expect, actually.) The problem I had is that, typographically, "ACME" is short and bold, while "VersaCo" is more nuanced, which doesn't lend itself to the stentorian all-caps treatment that "ACME" might get.

Which doesn't mean I didn't try. Here's a more cartoonish version, as a hat tip to the Silver Age.
versiCo.png

And here's a more straightforward treatment.
versaco.png

(I did both "VersaCo" and "VersiCo" because you wrote both in your suggestion and I'm easily confused.)

Finally, I was still in a water-themed mood from earlier, so I did a logo for the Titan Bay Aquarium. There's going to be an aquarium, right? I mean, where else are we going to care for and communicate with alien visitors from water-based worlds?
titanBayAquarium.png
"Just run up on Fritz."
Rigger

Unread postby dawho5 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:10 pm

I did leave in both. I had originally meant to use the "I" and mistakenly put in the "A". It was just a silly idea anyway. The thought I had was of some slick corporate exec in a tech company always looking for a way to make a buck having a light bulb go on in his head while his kids were watching reruns of old cartoons. Then he talks to some people higher up that he knows have no care how they make money and so on. Years later those guys were all well entrenched in the upper management and keeping their little side venture a secret. Why pay other people for your idea after all?

I also added in the idea that one of the originator's kids was now a superhero and the other was a young, slick executive type being groomed to take Dad's spot in the company one day. Would make for a good story somewhere with the NPC hero coming in and at first wanting to disprove that dad & brother were involved and then going the direction we all know it goes.

I liked the first style a little better if that helps. Not sure a company like that would have a logo. A name change may be in order though. Maybe something that would lend itself to an ACME logo style. The blander the better for something like that.

Tool shed logo is perfect. I'll do some thinking on 2-3 national chains and a few more mom & pop varieties. Might be a good idea in the last little run before launch to look at all of the businesses and see which essentials are missing.
dawho5

Previous

Return to Brands and Logos