Brands and Logos General Discussion

Developing the brands and logos in the game world

Brands and Logos General Discussion

Unread postby Golden Girl » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:33 pm

Because a huge variety of logos and brands surround us in real life, especially in urban areas, we’re going to need a similarly huge variety in HaV, especially in Titan City. But because real life brands and logos are owned by corporations, they’re often sensitive about how they’re used, or charge for their use, which is obviously something we wouldn’t be interested in doing.

This means that using real world brands and logos could lead to an inconsistent game world, where only some real ones existed, and others didn’t – for example, if Burger King were ok with having their name and logo used, but MacDonald’s wasn’t, then we’d have a game world where Burger King existed, but MacDonald’s didn’t – we’d have a patchwork of brands and logos, some real, some invented, leading to constant switches in immersion

Real world brands and logos also carry their own associations and history, which mightn’t always sync up with what we’re trying to do, whether it’s as simple as the coloring or lettering they use, or as complex as the interlocking network of associated brands and logos that go with them – Coke and Pepsi go together, for example, and have a history of rivalry – that might work for what we want to do, or it might not – plus, we’d need both of them to make an appearance, otherwise, we’re left with Coke’s main rival being the invented Not-Pepsi Cola Company. Players would be constantly flipped from one kind of reality to another, which really isn’t good for immersion.

Then there’s also the issue of how real brands and logos are portrayed in stories and other gameplay elements – for example:

1 – A multinational software giant is releasing a new gaming console, but a number of its technicians are in the pay of a super-criminal, and have secretly installed covert surveillance software in the console in an attempt to track down the secret identities of several heroes.

2 - The chairman of a global soda drinks company is planning to run for national office, and intends to spike his company’s products with mind controlling chemicals during the election campaign to subtly guide voters to choose him.

3 – During a street fight featuring a destructible environment, a supervillain uses the giant letter sign from a world famous fast food chain to beat a hero unconscious, having first punched him through a billboard advertising the latest model from a famous car manufacturer, which he’s also set on fire.

Attaching things like this to real world brands and logos would be unlikely to go down well with them, and as HaV is a story-driven game, we really need to have complete freedom to tell any story that we can come up with, and the only way to really be able do that is to create our own brands and logos for the entire game world.
This is naturally going to need a lot of work, as there’s an enormous range of brands and logos we’ll need, from multinational mega-corps through nationwide clothing chains to one-off mom and pop grocery stores.
And this is where the community comes in, as it’s your new home that we’re building, you can help also us build it. Retailers, importers, exporters, financial institutions, supermarkets, gas stations, fast food chains, cosmetics, clothing, hardware, cars – anything you can come up with would very likely be found in a place as big and as important as Titan City – so feel free to make your suggestions here.
Golden Girl

Re: Brands and Logos General Discussion

Unread postby Darkaiser » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:40 pm

C.O.R.E. (Centralized Organization of Resources and Energy): Multinational conglomerate that leads the world in the buying, selling and production of energy. On the outside they present themselves as the benevolent energy company trying to build a better world. Actually they're like Marvel's Roxxon, trying to gradually take over everything related to energy. As a result their logo would be smeared all over the place. More details later.
Darkaiser

Unread postby Rigger » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:21 am

What size and format are preferred for logo/brand ideas, and where should we submit them? I've started on this, and don't want to waste effort by making them too small, or using a bad format. (Specifically, I hope Photoshop/GIMP is okay, otherwise I'm useless. Software be pricey.)
"Just run up on Fritz."
Rigger

Unread postby Golden Girl » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:48 am

You can submit them here in this thread - the format can be any common one like jpg or png, as those are the easiest for us to work with and convert to other formats if required.
Images should be as sharp as possible, to allow for resizing, and to make it easier for us to tweak them if it's needed.
Golden Girl

Unread postby TheThirdT » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:39 pm

This is both a logo design and an Idea...I dont know how Characters would buy new costume parts or equip unlocked items, however i had an idea. What if there was a clothing store that catered to Supers exclusively, producing the high quality high tech spandex outfits heroes so desire. Enter: MASKK. A chain of stores for heroes. Basically you enter the store and enter the cash store, or the character creator. however you want to implement it. I suppose it could also be for Civilians who want to wear spandex due to the icons that Heros are. hopefully i added this photo right
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
TheThirdT

Unread postby Blaze Rocker » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:16 pm

Thanks. Now I've got the theme music from M.A.S.K. running through my head. :o
You're really gonna want that cowbell. :P
Blaze Rocker

Unread postby TheThirdT » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:41 pm

heh that should be the main theme for the game
TheThirdT

Unread postby TheThirdT » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:47 pm

Basically I envisioned it as the Buckle of the hero circuit, maybe there could also be smaller stores about with unique items. I don't know how that would be implemented though
TheThirdT

Unread postby Rigger » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:26 am

I just tried to post a design, but the upload failed. Turns out the forum file attachment limit is 1 MB, so I'll size future submissions accordingly. (I will, however, hold on to the big originals, in case needed.)
"Just run up on Fritz."
Rigger

Unread postby Rigger » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:27 am

Potential planetarium logo design:

planetarium.png
"Just run up on Fritz."
Rigger

Next

Return to Brands and Logos