Programmers Sign-Up

Sign-up to help develop Heroes and Villains

Re: Programmers Sign-Up

Unread postby Thazager » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:19 pm

Currently, we use the mouse wheel to scroll from 1st person to 3rd person and back.

With unreal, the group would have to write the code for the server side, which is what one group (the Pheonix Project) is currently trying to do. With unity, it will only support about 64 max players, something like Champions Online is doing (with so many per zone).
HaV Lead Programmer/scripter
Thazager

Unread postby Golden Girl » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:38 pm

On the subject of VR, the current concept of VR has a lot of problems, all of which come from the fact that it's not really VR - it's just a purely optical trick which causes a disconnect between the visual sense and the other senses, especially in relation to the body's spatial awareness, and that disconnect would become even more noticeable in a game that let players move beyond normal human limits.
Golden Girl

Unread postby Blaze Rocker » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:32 pm

My apologies. Lets just focus on "3-D First-Person-Perspective" as current "VR" systems require hand and head devices that would be impractical to use in a classic RPG such as CoH and HaV.
You're really gonna want that cowbell. :P
Blaze Rocker

Unread postby Rigger » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 pm

Golden Girl wrote:... that disconnect would become even more noticeable in a game that let players move beyond normal human limits.

In other words: All aboard the Hurl Train.
"Just run up on Fritz."
Rigger

Unread postby plinkyplonk » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:57 am

VR is , frankly, bollox.

The idea is ok and it has its uses but for main stream gaming it will never be.

When it was around in the 70's it was rubbish.
When it resurfaced in the 80's it was still rubbish.
It came around again in the 90's and, guess what, it was rubbish.
I thought they had got the message by the noughties but ...
... in the 20 teens we are and they are still trying to polish a turd.

http://www.pcmag.com/feature/343351/the ... 0s-and-90s

This is my opinion ~ yours may differ.
plinkyplonk

Unread postby Exo-Buster » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:17 am

VR makes terribly, terribly little sense in a third person game to begin with.

It's best to leave it with first person perspective games where its strengths actually overshadow its weaknesses. Presuming of course, a competent developer anyway.

When not done well though?

Hoh boy.
Time to get the hell out of Dodge.
Exo-Buster

Unread postby ET3D » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:34 am

I'm waiting to see how Marvel Powers United VR turns out. I do think that VR with motion controls is a good fit for both superheroes and MMO, but I think you'd have to design a game from scratch for that.
ET3D

Unread postby Golden Girl » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:18 pm

ET3D wrote:I'm waiting to see how Marvel Powers United VR turns out. I do think that VR with motion controls is a good fit for both superheroes and MMO, but I think you'd have to design a game from scratch for that.

Actually, superheroes and VR are quite possibly the worst match up ever - if people get motion sickness from normal human movement, just think what flying would do to them :P
Golden Girl

Unread postby ET3D » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:28 am

Golden Girl wrote:Actually, superheroes and VR are quite possibly the worst match up ever - if people get motion sickness from normal human movement, just think what flying would do to them :P

Far as I understand, motion sickness isn't that bad for everyone. Some people get motion sickness just playing shooters on a 2D screen, and that hasn't stopped the genre from being a huge success. And if we're discounting those who do suffer from motion sickness in VR (and therefore aren't an audience for VR games), I'm not sure that flying would actually cause those who don't suffer from it any discomfort.

But really, content-wise, VR is a great way to play a superhero, because it can really give you the feeling you're huge or small, can fly, can hit through walls, etc.
ET3D

Previous

Return to Assemble the Team